Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJKillerKeemstar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2017
Hi all,

I just recently got a new MacBook Pro and was messing around with it when I noticed that there was some severe ghosting on images that were dragged across the screen. I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this and if it is normal behavior.

Here's a video showing the slow response time on the display:

The computer is a 2017 15" MacBook Pro. I previously had a 2015 13" and that a didn't have such a bad ghosting effect which is what lead me to believe that this may possibly be a defect.

Thanks.

EDIT: I realized that the problem isn't ghosting on the display, it just has more motion blur compared to previous models.

Last edited:

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
That’s just incredibly bad coding in after effects, it sucks but that’s life.

After effects isn't responsible for drawing the window, no amount of bad coding does ghosting (unless you decide to draw each pixel sub color yourselve at different times).

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
  1. After effects isn't responsible for drawing the window, no amount of bad coding does ghosting (unless you decide to draw each pixel sub color yourselve at different times).

But that video does not show ghosting it shows poor coding resulting in very slow refresh times, which causes the moving window to look like it’s ghosting. I see nothing wrong with your hardware, the software whether Apple or adobe is the cause and adobe is notoriously badly coded for OS X.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
But that video does not show ghosting it shows poor coding resulting in very slow refresh times, which causes the moving window to look like it’s ghosting. I see nothing wrong with your hardware, the software whether Apple or adobe is the cause and adobe is notoriously badly coded for OS X.
ghosting.png

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Hi all, I just recently got a new MacBook Pro and was messing around with it when I noticed that there was some severe ghosting on images that were dragged across the screen. I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this and if it is normal behavior.
Welcome to the MBPr club!

No, I do not experience that sort of behaviour. I have not used Adobe products in a little over 8 years; so, that maybe something.

DJKillerKeemstar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2017
That’s not ghosting, ghosting is where the screen holds an image after the image is dispelled not just slow refresh rates for moving stuff around. If you close the window are you left with an image on the screen that takes a few seconds to disappear?

This will give you an idea if it’s your screen or the software.

https://marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html

Oh yes, my bad! There isn't any ghosting on the display, just a lot of motion blur. I actually looked this up and it looks like the new MacBook Pros do have a slower pixel response time, but it isn't really anything too devastating.

Last edited:

AlexisP98

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2019
Oh yes, my bad! There isn't any ghosting on the display, just a lot of motion blur. I actually looked this up and it looks like the new MacBook Pros do have a slower pixel response time, but it isn't really anything too devastating.

I guys, I just bought a brand new Macbook Pro 15inch ( 2018 ) with High Sierra 10.13.6 pre-installed ( for work reasons now i can't upgrade to Mojave ), i see the same problem you are talking about, sometimes the screen it seems to have motion blur :(. I think that isn't an hardware problem, and noticed that sometimes there's no problem ( unplugged to the charger seems to be more inclined to notice that ). It looks like a bad pixel's response time. I supposed that is only a bad driver optimization or something like that
Has someone noticed fixes upgrading to Mojave?
Thank's for your replies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.