Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Magus90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2017
Hey There,

So i went through a headache with Apple because i had no idea the base wasn't removable on the new IMACs and on top of that you can't just easily vesa mount them. You have to buy a special IMAC just for vesa mounting.

So i was wondering what people thought of these mounts that attach to the IMAC stand and then allow them to be vesa mounted from the stand itself? It looks like it would do damage to the hinge over time, or that the hinge would keep moving on you from the weight.

Has anyone tried one of these and had success??

https://www.thebookyard.com/product.php?products_id=15681

Thanks very much

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
So i went through a headache with Apple because i had no idea the base wasn't removable on the new IMACs and on top of that you can't just easily vesa mount them. You have to buy a special IMAC just for vesa mounting.

I can't remember a time when this was not the case. Aside from the iMac Pro that allows you to remove the stand and attach the mounting bracket yourself

Magus90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2017
I can't remember a time when this was not the case. Aside from the iMac Pro that allows you to remove the stand and attach the mounting bracket yourself

You can very easily remove the stand and add an apple branded vesa mount on the 2009, 2010, 2011, and some 2012 models. I believe even more years could as well before 2009, but these i know for sure.

Stupid on Apples part to make the base not removable and a nightmare to vesa mount. It shouldn't be an all or nothing choice, where you can only have either a base or a vesa mount. Especially when the Pro easily does this. Why not the regular line of Imacs as well?

pier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2009
To be fair that doesn't answer the question. The question was why they offer two separate iMacs, instead of one that can be both

Who knows, but I imagine the vast majority of people are fine with the regular stand and Apple probably decided it was cheaper/easier to not make the stand removable. Maybe these removable stands introduced more problems than they solved.

Buerkletucson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Minnesota
Options...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RW9F336/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

71Of5fUw-yL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Mounting-Non...TF8&qid=1517330146&sr=1-1&keywords=imac+mount

612BDkBVPpL._SL1333_.jpg

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Looks a bit ugly with the bottom of the stand hanging out though, doesn't it?
I have mine hanging from the second mount above .... and the floating stand, while looking strange, does provide a perfect shelf for a small portable Blu-Ray optical drive while keeping it above my desk clutter for ease of loading/unloading.

Magus90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2017
To be fair that doesn't answer the question. The question was why they offer two separate iMacs, instead of one that can be both

Yes, thank you. If they can do it on the Imac Pro and also on the older Imacs where the base comes off and a vesa mount could easily be added, giving you the versatility of both, why not on the current non pro line? Just seems like an odd choice, but apple always seems to go for form rather than functionality. Having two totally different models that you are locked into at the time of purchase, is kind of a bummer, especially when spending $2k on a computer.

Vesa mounting is a standard feature in nearly every other computer monitor/pc combo i can think of.

As for the other solution, i did see that, but that can't be good for the hinge. I can deal with it being an ugly solution, but i just get concerned about the hinge and it seems like it would droop or be a pain to deal with. Have not used it though so it might not be.

Thanks so far

Buerkletucson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Minnesota
As for the other solution, i did see that, but that can't be good for the hinge. I can deal with it being an ugly solution, but i just get concerned about the hinge and it seems like it would droop or be a pain to deal with. Have not used it though so it might not be.

Thanks so far

Why would that be a strain on the hinge?
The same weight is supported by the mount hinge as if it was sitting on a desk......There is no additional load on the hinge.
The second mount just has an adjustable stop resting on the back of the monitor to keep the screen from tilting.

They both get 4+ stars on Amazon.......can't be all bad for the price.

81F2m1Fs1WL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Magus90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2017
Why would that be a strain on the hinge?
The same weight is supported by the mount hinge as if it was sitting on a desk......There is no additional load on the hinge.
The second mount just has an adjustable stop resting on the back of the monitor to keep the screen from tilting.

They both get 4+ stars on Amazon.......can't be all bad for the price.

The first one seems like the hinge would have some strain on it, but like i said since i have not used it, it may very well be fine.

The second one definitely looks like a better design overall, i like the rubber pads and the adjustable stop. I may give this one a go if i need to. Thanks for pointing it out.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I have both of those mounts, and both of them support the weight by the stand, putting no additional strain on the hinge. I preferred the second one as it was much smaller and less intrusive since the back of my iMac faces he door to my den. I would have preferred that the stand had been removable like the earlier models so that the Vesa mount wouldn't have the stand hanging down ... guess I will have to get a iMac Pro to fix that. ;)

Magus90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2017
I have both of those mounts, and both of them support the weight by the stand, putting no additional strain on the hinge. I preferred the second one as it was much smaller and less intrusive since the back of my iMac faces he door to my den. I would have preferred that the stand had been removable like the earlier models so that the Vesa mount wouldn't have the stand hanging down ... guess I will have to get a iMac Pro to fix that. ;)

Thanks for chiming in i really appreciate it. I will give the second one a go and see how it works out. There is just something about putting a $2000 Imac on a $15 aftermarket vesa adapter that makes me uneasy. I am sure i am just over thinking it.

Thanks

Buerkletucson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Minnesota
Thanks for chiming in i really appreciate it. I will give the second one a go and see how it works out. There is just something about putting a $2000 Imac on a $15 aftermarket vesa adapter that makes me uneasy. I am sure i am just over thinking it.

Thanks

It's a simple bracket......
Not much to go wrong IMHO.....the articulating wall or desk mount arm swivel is where you may want to spend some more money.
This is where the cheapos may droop or not hold it solid to the wall or desk.

Reactions: hfg

Buerkletucson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Minnesota
I purchased the first mount option I posted above along with good quality swivel mount for mounting my 21.5" iMac in my workshop.

Works slick....I can have it flat against the wall when working at the workbench, or extended it out and rotate it for when working on my motorcycle or other projects I need a service manual or other documents to view.
Nice...

The iMAc OEM stand <leg> sticking out is actually a nice to place put small items like flash drives or card readers.

IMG_2135.jpg

IMG_2136.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: vddobrev

Akaguyver

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2019
Who knows, but I imagine the vast majority of people are fine with the regular stand and Apple probably decided it was cheaper/easier to not make the stand removable. Maybe these removable stands introduced more problems than they solved.
No apple is deliberately removing any upgrade options from everything to force users to spend $5,000 on a pro model that most people don't need it is bullying on an economic level and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people started jumping ship I've been looking at what Mac model to buy for over a week now and every single one has some kind of problem that I don't like but since I can't upgrade certain aspects of anything w there really is no perfect solution unless I want to spend $5,000 on a pro model when the parts are really only worth $3,000 that's fine for pros but they're really pushing the everyday person out
[doublepost=1562300841][/doublepost]
Looks a bit ugly with the bottom of the stand hanging out though, doesn't it?
That is hideous the fact that you can't take the stand off an iMac or you can buy a vesa capable iMac but you don't have the option of the i9 processor once again all good if you want to Shell out $5,000 for an iMac pro. get the lube ready...

• Haha
Reactions: opiapr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.