Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
With my ip6s, I would use the lightning to VGA adapter to connect to the vga projector and the sound would hook up through the 3.5 audio jack to the speaker system.

Now with the ip7, I use the lightning to vga adapter with no issues on the video but I can't seem to get the audio to play on the speaker system. I tried to hook up the lightning to 3.5 audio adapter into the additional lightning port on the vga adapter but sound only plays through the ip7. I tried to hook up the lightning earbuds to the additional lightning port on the vga adapter and still no luck.

How can I get the audio to work? Any help would be appreciated. The audio in at the access point in the wall is the white/red connection.

Thanks

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Have you tried more than one adapter? AFAIK the lightning port on the VGA adapter should be able to transmit the signal needed for the 3.5mm-lightning adapter to transfer audio.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Have you tried more than one adapter? AFAIK the lightning port on the VGA adapter should be able to transmit the signal needed for the 3.5mm-lightning adapter to transfer audio.
I think the Lightning port on the VGA adapter is for power only, so a Lightning audio adapter won't work. Since VGA doesn't carry audio, the audio has to be transferred by the audio jack. Since the iPhone 7 doesn't have one, you're kind of SOL.

Audio does get passed via the HDMI adapter, however, so a work-around would be to get an active adapter that splits off VGA video and separate audio off an HDMI output. Where to find one is anyone's guess (check Amazon) though I'm pretty sure I've seen them in the past....

...I did say work-around. Didn't say cheap.

Edit: another work-around would be a cheap Bluetooth audio adapter. There's a bunch that will go from Bluetooth to 3.5mm audio.

Reactions: reckless2k2

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I think the Lightning port on the VGA adapter is for power only, so a Lightning audio adapter won't work. Since VGA doesn't carry audio, the audio has to be transferred by the audio jack. Since the iPhone 7 doesn't have one, you're kind of SOL.

Pretty piss you have to use workarounds like the ones you describe however, and that the port on the VGA adapter can't carry audio.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
I had the same problem. I bought an amazon blue tooth adapter for the audio an made sure it was connected.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Pretty piss you have to use workarounds like the ones you describe however, and that the port on the VGA adapter can't carry audio.
I do not believe there's any protocol for splitting the data from the Lightning port and adding a second pass-through data port; only one Lightning device can plug in at a time. Even the Belkin iPhone 7 two-port Lightning headphone adapter only supports one power input and one Lightning headphone connection and cannot be used to plug two Lightning headphones in at the same time.

The best solution for iPhones missing a headphone jack would be for Apple (or someone else) to produce a Lightning-to-VGA adapter with a 3.5mm audio jack on the dongle next to the VGA port instead of (or in addition to) the power connector. I suspect, however, given the small market for such a device that it'll never happen.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I do not believe there's any protocol for splitting the data from the Lightning port and adding a second pass-through data port; only one Lightning device can plug in at a time. Even the Belkin iPhone 7 two-port Lightning headphone adapter only supports one power input and one Lightning headphone connection and cannot be used to plug two Lightning headphones in at the same time.

For situations like this, there should be though. I haven't studied the pin layout of Lightning, but I assume that, especially for VGA, you don't need to use very many pins to run the video signal, so even if you wanted to use the rest for data transfer and not just audio, you'd still have plenty of bandwidth for a satisfactory connection.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I had the same problem. I bought an amazon blue tooth adapter for the audio an made sure it was connected.

Can you send a link to what you used for this workaround? Thanks.

Not necessary.....I already found one on Amazon. Thanks

Last edited:

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
Yeah. I mean I’ve used a Bluetooth speaker playing movies via a vga projector in my class and I did not notice any lag what so ever.

The only problem I had was VLC had some synching issues with some video files, but it was more of a vlc problem, and not a Bluetooth issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.