Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mudflap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Chicago
Hi everyone. Sorry if I'm not posting this incorrectly, never did this before.

I've been using MarketCircle's Billings, then Billings Pro, for more than a decade. I currently use Billings Pro hosted on my own "server" to avoid the monthly fee, but that is being discontinued and it looks like they will not update it to work with Mojave.

Has anyone found a viable alternative to Billings Pro? I've been running my own design and retouching business for more than 20 years and I need a Mac app to handle clients, time tracking, invoicing and payments for multiple projects and clients. I really don't want to switch to a web-based system.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

timothevs

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2007
FL
Subscribing to thus thread. I am in the exact same boat - have used Billings Pro for the better part of a decade. It is really a shame. In the interim, i decided to downgrade my server to Sierra, till I figure something out.

Reactions: mudflap

DominicusB

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2018
Tammisaari
You could try this app: Moon Invoice Pro
It's a fairly new one and have just expanded to windows and android too
I use it on all my mac devices and sync between them via iCloud Drive

I'm not entirely sure if it's 64-bit at the moment but they seem eager enough to keep it up, so it probably will get updated to 64 bit if it isn't yet.

Good luck,

Dominicus

PS. You can test it first and then decide to pay for it later by a yearly subscription (29/year)

-----

Hi everyone. Sorry if I'm not posting this incorrectly, never did this before.

I've been using MarketCircle's Billings, then Billings Pro, for more than a decade. I currently use Billings Pro hosted on my own "server" to avoid the monthly fee, but that is being discontinued and it looks like they will not update it to work with Mojave.

Has anyone found a viable alternative to Billings Pro? I've been running my own design and retouching business for more than 20 years and I need a Mac app to handle clients, time tracking, invoicing and payments for multiple projects and clients. I really don't want to switch to a web-based system.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: mudflap

mudflap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Chicago
Followup: I cloned my High Sierra internal drive to an external and then updated it to Mojave. Billings Pro Server seemed to work just fine! I didn't really put it through it's paces though so I'm going to try to do that later today or tomorrow. But I was able to sync it, add projects, log time, etc. I'll report back as soon as I can.

I did take the last 6 weeks to try literally every single time/invoicing app for Mac (no web-based stuff — I need to work offline a lot) and so far the only one that has everything I need is Timenet. So many invoicing apps don't have integrated timing capacities and that's a deal breaker for me. Timenet does. AND it's not subscription. It's reasonably priced. So right now my plan is to upgrade to Mojave, keep using Billings Pro Server until it gives up the ghost, then switch over to Timenet.

mudflap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Chicago
Update: Today I was able to fully test Billings Pro on Mojave. Everything worked fine until I tried to send an invoice when I got an error message stating Billings Pro could not reach the server. So I opened Server Admin, turned off the server, logged out of Switchboard, manually entered my public IP address under Advanced in the Network tab, logged back in to Switchboard then turned the server back on. Then everything worked perfectly.

So, yes, we can continue to use Billings Pro and Billings Pro Server until Apple completely shuts down 32 bit apps. Then they simply won't run at all and we'll need to either switch to Cloud or find a replacement app.

God I hate cloud subscriptions. I don't even like music subscriptions. I want to buy the thing and own it. Period.

Anyway hope this helps somebody. Good luck, all.

JeremyBechtold

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2012
I noticed at their website that the program now is 64bit

looks like the current version is 64bit... do you happen to know if the current version works with older self-serve servers?

So, yes, we can continue to use Billings Pro and Billings Pro Server until Apple completely shuts down 32 bit apps. Then they simply won't run at all and we'll need to either switch to Cloud or find a replacement app.

God I hate cloud subscriptions. I don't even like music subscriptions. I want to buy the thing and own it. Period.

I'm exactly the same way, mudflap. I want to pay (even a premium) to own it and be done. my in-laws just migrated to a new imac, so I'm going to take their older model and see if it'll run the server and allow me to still self-host my data. I'm still using v3, not pro, and I'd like to upgrade my work desktop without running a virtual computer just for the sake of sending invoices and running reports.

I know this is an older thread, so thanks in advance for any replies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.