Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josey Walesh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2017
italy (Roma)
Hi everyone i would like to ask some expert one thing, i can not understand eg between a GTX 980 video card 4 gb compared to a GTX 980 8 gb what changes?
I mean the benefits I would use a 8 gb video card instead of a 2 gb?
Specifically I do not care about the game but only for video editing with FCPX.
thank you

DearthnVader

Suspended
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Really, it depends on your displays. If you plan on running multiple 4k displays off the card, and rending with FCPX then you may see some advantage to 8 GB.

Just think of 8 GB as future proofing, maybe FCPX can't take advantage of 8 GB of VRam, but who knows what the future will bring, or what software you may use later.

Reactions: Josey Walesh

Josey Walesh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2017
italy (Roma)
thanks for having responded to my friend, but with an 8gb video card instead of a 2gb, would I have the most fluid video in timeline when i see the prewiew in fullHD or would it be the same?

MarkJames68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2017
thanks for having responded to my friend, but with an 8gb video card instead of a 2gb, would I have the most fluid video in timeline when i see the prewiew in fullHD or would it be the same?
A lot depends on what you’re seeing. At 1080p resolution either 4GB or 8GB should be fine. 4K might benefit from more than 4GB.

Reactions: Josey Walesh
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.