Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OhMyMy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2021
I've noticed some bad viewing angles on my M1 Pro 14" 10/16/16. When viewing from the side there's a bluish hue and the blooming effect is exacerbated. But when you look at it straight it all goes away. The screen looks uniform and everything looks great

Anyone else noticed this on their new 14" or even 16"?

OhMyMy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2021
So the MiniLEDs are no better with their viewing angles than older technologies then?

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
So the MiniLEDs are no better with their viewing angles than older technologies then?
MiniLED is just what’s lighting up a panel, The panel type is what matters. For example You could have a mini-LED lighting an IPS panel that has poorer contrast but better viewing angles or a Mini-led VA panel that has better blacks but poorer viewing angles. It looks like Apple went for better blacks.

Apple used to advertise the MacBook Pro as IPS displays, they no longer do that on the MBP 14,16 meaning they've moved to a different panel type. Expect the newer models to feature VA panel characteristics
instead of IPS. From the comparison page on Apple's site between 13.3 and 14.2, as well as 16 and 16.2 MBP:
Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 9.27.00 PM.png

D87D9C00-CAEE-4C2B-95DA-F14E19D36BE2.jpeg

Some information about panel types.

Last edited:

Nocturnal-G

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
I've noticed some bad viewing angles on my M1 Pro 14" 10/16/16. When viewing from the side there's a bluish hue and the blooming effect is exacerbated. But when you look at it straight it all goes away. The screen looks uniform and everything looks great

Anyone else noticed this on their new 14" or even 16"?

Let’s trade… mine has no blooming when viewing on angles. But has blooming on straight viewing. ?

Def a defect on mine… kind of curious what was done wrong.

OhMyMy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2021
MiniLED is just what’s lighting up a panel, The panel type is what matters. For example You could have a mini-LED lighting an IPS panel that has poorer contrast but better viewing angles or a Mini-led VA panel that has better blacks but poorer viewing angles. It looks like Apple went for better blacks.

Apple used to advertise the MacBook Pro as IPS displays, they no longer do that on the MBP 14,16 meaning they've moved to a different panel type. Expect the newer models to feature VA panel characteristics
instead of IPS. From the comparison page on Apple's site between 13.3 and 14.2, as well as 16 and 16.2 MBP:
View attachment 1906300

View attachment 1906309

Some information about panel types.
I thought MiniLED is like it's own tech like OLED and not something that's part of the panel. You learn something new everyday. Thanks!?

Let’s trade… mine has no blooming when viewing on angles. But has blooming on straight viewing. ?

Def a defect on mine… kind of curious what was done wrong.
Oh that's a great offer that I must politely decline. I'd much rather seat myself in front of my MBP than let it drive me insane with yours. At least now I can sleep in peace.?

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
The pixel arrays on the new screens look like IPS to me. NotebookCheck magnifies them in their review.

I don't notice any increase in viewing angle dimming over my 15".

It could be ADS which is similar but has worse viewing angles. Wording is extremely important, Apple didn’t drop that for no reason, it’s not an IPS panel.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
I believe ADS is considered an improvement, including in viewing angles, but its pixel arrays seem to look different. Anyway, doesn't seem any different than before to me in viewing from an angle.

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2021
I don't think you guys know what you are seeing. Different shade of light is due to the films between the Mini-LED and the LCD that is centre focus for the brightest 1600nits experience as much as possible. That shade of light create a side effect on the LCD image. I can read text just fine on the side.

It is designed that your head sit in front of the laptop. Why would you view from an angle? Get a TV? External monitor in that case?

OhMyMy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2021
I don't think you guys know what you are seeing. Different shade of light is due to the films between the Mini-LED and the LCD that is centre focus for the brightest 1600nits experience as much as possible. That shade of light create a side effect on the LCD image. I can read text just fine on the side.

It is designed that your head sit in front of the laptop. Why would you view from an angle? Get a TV? External monitor in that case?
No one looks at their laptop from the side deliberately. This is a stupid argument. People do move around to get things done while watching a movie every now and then and try to catch a glimpse to keep things running. It’s not a typical scenario but it does happen often.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
In my experience, portable LCD displays tend to have worse viewing angles than desktop displays.
Here's an example of with a 24" desktop monitor, my iPad Pro 10.5", and a Kindle Paperwhite.
From straight on, a slight angle, and a more oblique angle. I desaturated the pictures to make color temperature differences in the displays less noticeable. Exposure setting is the same on each of the three pictures.
viewing-angles.jpg

I would guess that the worse viewing angles on portable displays is at least partly due to power efficiency. Any light that isn't reaching your eyes is basically wasted power.

I suspect one of the reasons many people find e-ink displays more pleasant to read is that the brightness stays almost perfectly consistent at any angle. Here you can see how much the iPad changes brightness with even small viewing angle changes. Compare the brightness of the left bezel with the display as the viewing angle changes.

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
I believe ADS is considered an improvement, including in viewing angles, but its pixel arrays seem to look different. Anyway, doesn't seem any different than before to me in viewing from an angle.

I’ve seen mixed reviews of it. Take the Apple (tech spec) pages wording as exact, technical and chosen for a purpose. Apple has claimed a lot about the displays but has been hush about viewing angles.I don’t believe the new MacBooks have any wide viewing technology (not ADS,IPS, or even VA with a angle filter), I think Apple went with a traditional VA panel to fully show the miniLED advantage. Im even more sure of this because with the miniLED iPad they do still advertise wide viewing.As others have mentioned it really doesn’t matter for screens this small, but I wont be surprised if more people like OP notice in passing. I also wouldn’t be surprised if the iPads drop the IPS in the future, TV’s using IPS and miniLED often show worse blooming, which might be why it’s so noticeable on the iPad. Hell it might’ve been the backlash to the 12.9 that caused Apple to adopt a different panel. Apples been advertising IPS on tech specs since the first retina MBP and the first iPad. The omission on the new MBP models is not a error.
9E990987-D2EF-4ED1-995C-E3B8DA6929BD.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: OhMyMy

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
I thought MiniLED is like it's own tech like OLED and not something that's part of the panel. You learn something new everyday. Thanks!?
That is MicroLED, which promises the advantages of LED and OLED combined (including viewing angles), but are not quite ready for mainstream yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: OhMyMy

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
I’ve seen mixed reviews of it. Take the Apple (tech spec) pages wording as exact, technical and chosen for a purpose. Apple has claimed a lot about the displays but has been hush about viewing angles.I don’t believe the new MacBooks have any wide viewing technology (not ADS,IPS, or even VA with a angle filter), I think Apple went with a traditional VA panel to fully show the miniLED advantage. Im even more sure of this because with the miniLED iPad they do still advertise wide viewing.As others have mentioned it really doesn’t matter for screens this small, but I wont be surprised if more people like OP notice in passing. I also wouldn’t be surprised if the iPads drop the IPS in the future, TV’s using IPS and miniLED often show worse blooming, which might be why it’s so noticeable on the iPad. Hell it might’ve been the backlash to the 12.9 that caused Apple to adopt a different panel. Apples been advertising IPS on tech specs since the first retina MBP and the first iPad. The omission on the new MBP models is not a error.
View attachment 1907276
I worry less about what Apple says (or doesn't say in this case) and more about what the screen actually shows itself to be, and even more, what I see, which is the same as with my previous MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.