Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JDN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Lund Sweden {London England}
I have never used RAW before, and am a little confused.

When i put my SD card in the card reader, no photos that were taken in RAW show up in the folder. I think this is because i don't have any software on my computer that can read RAW files.

I only have photoshop CS2 and from what i can find, you can't open D40x NEF files in it. I looked for a plugin but there was only one for CS3.

Can someone please explain what i need to do please? Cheers.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
The OSX 10.4.10 update allowed OSX to view RAW files from the D40x. So you can view them in Preview, and edit them in Aperture / iPhoto.

The Adobe Lightroom 1.1 update allowed the software to view and edit D40x RAW files.

The latest version of Adobe's CameraRAW (4.1?) adds support for D40x RAW files, though I have no idea whether CS2 can handle it.

Finally, Nikon Capture NX edits D40x RAW files wonderfully.

JDN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Lund Sweden {London England}
The OSX 10.4.10 update allowed OSX to view RAW files from the D40x. So you can view them in Preview, and edit them in Aperture / iPhoto.

The Adobe Lightroom 1.1 update allowed the software to view and edit D40x RAW files.

The latest version of Adobe's CameraRAW (4.1?) adds support for D40x RAW files, though I have no idea whether CS2 can handle it.

Finally, Nikon Capture NX edits D40x RAW files wonderfully.

Cheers, turned out to be a memory card issue on them not showing up. If i could afford NX i would already have it!

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Cheers, turned out to be a memory card issue on them not showing up. If i could afford NX i would already have it!

Haha, yeah, same. I had the trial and loved it, but seeing as I mainly use photoshop for editing and camera RAW now supports my D40x I couldn't justify buying more software!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.