Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
I've been planning to get the Sekonic L-558 light meter, but I just noticed that Sekonic have announced the L-758. It looks like the L-758 does all the L-558 does (spot, flash, incident, radio), but adds in some functions specifically for Digital. The price is the same for either, which is a bit puzzling so I'm wondering if I'm missing something the L-558 can do that the L-758 can't.

Does anyone have any knowledge of any shortcomings of the L-758 compared to the L-558?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I've been planning to get the Sekonic L-558 light meter, but I just noticed that Sekonic have announced the L-758. It looks like the L-758 does all the L-558 does (spot, flash, incident, radio), but adds in some functions specifically for Digital. The price is the same for either, which is a bit puzzling so I'm wondering if I'm missing something the L-558 can do that the L-758 can't.

Does anyone have any knowledge of any shortcomings of the L-758 compared to the L-558?

One clue from the web site: "The L-758 features the same basic specification as the popular L-558 , which it supercedes."

It would seem the L-558 is being sold from old stock.

This looks like a nice meter. I have a basic Minolta flashmeter that uses a PC sync cord. can't justify the price of something like this L-758.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
One clue from the web site: "The L-758 features the same basic specification as the popular L-558 , which it supercedes."

It would seem the L-558 is being sold from old stock.

That's what I was thinking but I would have thought they would discount the L-558 a bit, hence my question. Thanks for your reply

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
It appears that the primary difference is that the 758 can work with the exposure range of your dSLR/digital back (or a generic spread) - it will tell you where your highlights will clip and where the shadows will block up. Useful, but probably not that big of a deal (at least to me).

Either one should be fine for studio work, but I had a 558R and sold it since I'm usually working with available light and/or outdoors. Instead I got a cheap L-408 - ambient and 5-degree spot, much smaller than the 558 or 758.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I use the Cine version of Sekonic for Cinematography, and think it´s a great light meter. It has all the features for flash photography as well. Not suggesting that you buy this one, but wanted to share my positive experience with Sekonic

sowattmusic

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2009
Sekonic L-758 Cine Problem

Here's my issue
I cannot get in the Shutter Speed priority mode in Ambiant light status. It's like this mode down't exist on my meter.
I made sure all of my custom settings default to O.
Any idea...
Thanks
Michel
Switzerland

Brandon Heat

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
First hit the memory clear button.. Then hold down mode while rolling the dial... U should eventually loop if u keep rolling... U want to stop rolling the dial when the there's a box around T and not F

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.