Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkaiser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
Kansas City, MO
I don't see any reviews of this monitor here on the forum, I like the stats of this monitor so I thought I'd ask everyone for their opinion.

I am NOT a gammer, not even part time or infrequently ... never. But I would like to replace the dual monitors I have ... (two old 20in. Apple Cinema Displays) with one monitor big enough to act like two. The Viotek is both reasonably priced and sounds like it should work for me.

Have you ever used this monitor? Was it on a M1 Mac mini?

I would love to heard up-sides and down-sides or even strong opinions. This will be my first single UltraWide display so feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Its listed as a "Gaming Monitor" but I assume that means its good enough to be one, not that its limited to that role. True?

I will either use the HDMI input from the Mac mini or maybe even use a USB-C to DP cable, which would be better?

Anything else you think I should know?

Thanks everyone.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Are you buying it for 144hz?

It sounds like there are issues on M1 Macs with high refresh rate monitors.

Also, 1440p at that physical size might be a bit rough on the eyes (big pixels)

kkaiser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
Kansas City, MO
Are you buying it for 144hz?

It sounds like there are issues on M1 Macs with high refresh rate monitors.

Also, 1440p at that physical size might be a bit rough on the eyes (big pixels)
I thought a lower hz was worse, no? Mostly what I do is my photos, web pages, email, and some writing. Are you thinking 4K would be better?

Beosdoc

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2021
Chicagoland
Did you end up getting this monitor, if so, how is it? I’ve seen that there are issues with it not looking good, like the fonts, on other ultra wide screens. I’m looking at this monitor as well for the M1. I know it has a good review on Tom’s hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.