Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Hello,

I’m interested to learn more about the virtual memory swap feature. This sounds like what I have been wanting to see added to iPadOS for a long while.

Does this mean memory will swap to storage when necessary and will prevent apps refreshing and Safari tabs reloading due to memory management?

I wonder what the limitations of the memory swap are? I.e. Will this benefit every app from system level or will app developers need to make changes first? Can you have 100s of Safari tabs open in the background and never have them auto-reload due to memory management? Can you leave an app in background indefinitely and not lose unsaved text (i.e. website text form or app which doesn’t auto save etc)?

Any other information about this feature?

Thanks!

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Hello,

I’m interested to learn more about the virtual memory swap feature. This sounds like what I have been wanting to see added to iPadOS for a long while.

Does this mean memory will swap to storage when necessary and will prevent apps refreshing and Safari tabs reloading due to memory management?

I wonder what the limitations of the memory swap are? I.e. Will this benefit every app from system level or will app developers need to make changes first? Can you have 100s of Safari tabs open in the background and never have them auto-reload due to memory management? Can you leave an app in background indefinitely and not lose unsaved text (i.e. website text form or app which doesn’t auto save etc)?

Any other information about this feature?

Thanks!

It will be interesting to see what level of "swappiness" (i.e. how eagerly iOS may swap out unused memory pages) they use, and what type of algorithm they use to manage pages. They might just have lifted the implementation straight out of MacOS, which is quite aggressively (but smartly) swappy. Sadly, I don't have a suitable iPad to find out :(

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
I think this is one of the most exciting features of 16, even though my iPad misses out due to age. I just hope they get the memory management right, making the iPad memory function like a mac & preventing apps & tabs reloading and loss of unsaved text (i.e. website text form).

I will keep an eye out for the session and further information - thanks.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I think this is one of the most exciting features of 16, even though my iPad misses out due to age. I just hope they get the memory management right, making the iPad memory function like a mac & preventing apps & tabs reloading and loss of unsaved text (i.e. website text form).

I will keep an eye out for the session and further information - thanks.
Post here if you find it.

I don’t seem to see it listed in any of the future sessions.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Post here if you find it.

I don’t seem to see it listed in any of the future sessions.

Will do. I haven’t seen anything either.

The following MacRumors article doesn’t really shed any more light on the feature.

Reactions: symphony

SoYoung

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2015
I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or not but I do notice a difference on my 2018 iPad Pro in term of ram management. Games and safari tabs seems to hold way longer on iPadOS 16 compared to 15.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or not but I do notice a difference on my 2018 iPad Pro in term of ram management. Games and safari tabs seems to hold way longer on iPadOS 16 compared to 15.
It sounds like virtual memory swap is only for M1

Reactions: Radiuwel

SoYoung

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2015
For those having a 16GB RAM M1 iPad is Memory swap will expand this or its only for the 8GB models?

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
For those having a 16GB RAM M1 iPad is Memory swap will expand this or its only for the 8GB models?
Craig said a single app can use up to 16GB of RAM, which is the same phrasing they use when they say iPads can go up to 16GB of RAM.

Which I interpret as 8GB RAM iPads have up to 8GB for a single app, and 16GB RAM iPads can go up to 16GB for a single app.

Virtual memory expands memory by using your storage. I guess when an app uses all 16GB of RAM, then your other apps gets moved to virtual memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.