Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foolishfocus

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2010
St. Louis
One important question is whether Apple is trying to make money off this product or if they are trying to become leaders in a space that is poised for huge growth if done correctly.

To get people into the headset, I could see a long term 0% financing option (through the Apple card of course) allowing people to more easily make the decision for a Day 1 purchase. I'm not going to drop $3,500 or even the nearly $300/month to spread it over 12 months that is currently available on their products. However, knowing it will be a while before Gen 2 is ready, a 36 month finance options brings the cost down to just $3.19/day for the next 3 years, which is much easier to handle.

Probably not an option that will be available but it would definitely tempt me.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
Start saving now (like me), when it is released you can still decide to buy the 1st gen, with some added financing,
or keep saving until the 2nd gen comes out in at least 3 to 4 years.

I will not buy a new iPhone or iPad Pro this year to put it into the Vision pot :)

Reactions: Ghost31

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Honestly, you're better off saving and waiting a generation. That being said, I'm 95% certain Apple will have some kind of low interest financing option through Apple Card.

Reactions: waw74

wrcousert

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2013
Start saving now (like me), when it is released you can still decide to buy the 1st gen, with some added financing,
or keep saving until the 2nd gen comes out in at least 3 to 4 years.

I will not buy a new iPhone or iPad Pro this year to put it into the Vision pot :)
Considering that the Vision Pro can run thousands of iPad Pro apps, on a huge screen, it may not be necessary to keep buying iPads once this is released.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
I've read that the Sony, which will manufacture the lenses, can only produce a very limited amount the first year of shipping. If this is true, Apple will not open avenue that could result in them not able to meet demand.

Reactions: wrcousert

terrybraswell

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2022
USA
One important question is whether Apple is trying to make money off this product or if they are trying to become leaders in a space that is poised for huge growth if done correctly.

To get people into the headset, I could see a long term 0% financing option (through the Apple card of course) allowing people to more easily make the decision for a Day 1 purchase. I'm not going to drop $3,500 or even the nearly $300/month to spread it over 12 months that is currently available on their products. However, knowing it will be a while before Gen 2 is ready, a 36 month finance options brings the cost down to just $3.19/day for the next 3 years, which is much easier to handle.

Probably not an option that will be available but it would definitely tempt me.

https://paydaysay.com/100-dollar-loan/
You've raised an interesting point about Apple's potential strategy with their headset, and your idea of a long-term 0% financing option is intriguing. While it's uncertain whether Apple will pursue such an approach, it could indeed be a compelling way to encourage early adoption.
A 36-month financing option, as you suggested, would make the cost more manageable over time, potentially appealing to a broader audience. The prospect of spreading the expense over a longer period might entice more users to consider a Day 1 purchase, especially with the understanding that the next generation might take a while.
Apple has a history of innovative pricing and financing models, so your speculation isn't entirely out of the realm of possibility. It will be interesting to see how they approach the market dynamics and consumer preferences with this new product.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, and I'm curious to see how Apple unfolds their strategy in the coming months.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
I finance houses and cars not vr space goggles. I would -maybe- pay $3500 for a computer. This computer tho is insane and that’s it. $3500, M3 Max, 16’ screen, 36gb ram, 1tb ssd.

If I had to guess, even if say they throw a m3 in the thing, it will start at 8GB ram, 256 storage (maybe 512) and that’s not counting if you wear glasses.

Kierkegaarden

Cancelled
Dec 13, 2018
Possibly in the distant future, but I’m guessing that this device will be massively backordered well into 2025.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Possibly in the distant future, but I’m guessing that this device will be massively backordered well into 2025.
Will be very interesting to see if this is the type of product that may get scalped.
If a shortage and demand is expected then perhaps many orders will simply be to try it, and return within the official return window and then at least you have gotten to try it for a week or two.
Then either return it, or sell it on at a profit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.