Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

earthbound

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Hi, everyone.

I finally decided to purchase some lighting. I just ordered a Vivitar 285hv since I wanted something affordable to get me started. I'm also thinking of buying Alien Bees AB800 some time down the road. And so I'm wondering, is there a way to trigger both the Vivitar and the AB800 together? I have a Nikon D40, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Hi, everyone.

I finally decided to purchase some lighting. I just ordered a Vivitar 285hv since I wanted something affordable to get me started. I'm also thinking of buying Alien Bees AB800 some time down the road. And so I'm wondering, is there a way to trigger both the Vivitar and the AB800 together? I have a Nikon D40, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

You can get an optical trigger for the Vivitar. You'll also need a hotshoe->PC Synch adapter for the AB->D40 connection. ~$8 for a cheap one.

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
You could use the radio triggers made by the same company as the alien bees, the cybersyncs. Very reliable and decent range.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.