Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tna10006

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
Hi.

I was given a 2013 Macbook Pro Retina 13", 2.4GHz, 8GB, w/ SSD running on Mavericks (my first mac). It currently has VMware Fusion 4 with Windows XP (not sure why XP over W7). I would like to upgrade it to newer versions of those software. The computer would be used for basic productivity work (no gaming but will include light video editing). My questions are the following:
  1. Would it not be advisable to run VMware 10 and Windows 10 because of the age of the system?
  2. Would it be better to run Fusion 8.0/8.5 and Windows 7/8 for the sake of speed and efficiency?
  3. Are the latest copies of Fusion and Windows sold as a bundle for a discount?
  4. Would Parallels be better for an older MBP? If so, which versions should I consider?

I'd appreciate any feedback. Thank you very much.

infernoguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
Hi.

I was given a 2013 Macbook Pro Retina 13", 2.4GHz, 8GB, w/ SSD running on Mavericks (my first mac). It currently has VMware Fusion 4 with Windows XP (not sure why XP over W7). I would like to upgrade it to newer versions of those software. The computer would be used for basic productivity work (no gaming but will include light video editing). My questions are the following:
  1. Would it not be advisable to run VMware 10 and Windows 10 because of the age of the system?
  2. Would it be better to run Fusion 8.0/8.5 and Windows 7/8 for the sake of speed and efficiency?
  3. Are the latest copies of Fusion and Windows sold as a bundle for a discount?
  4. Would Parallels be better for an older MBP? If so, which versions should I consider?

I'd appreciate any feedback. Thank you very much.

1 & 2. You can run Win10/VMware 9 on this machine for light tasks with no penalty. I do so all the time and it’s quite fast.

3. Upgrade to VMware version 9 costs $49.99 but since you only have version 4, you’ll have to pay full price.

4. Parallels is faster (and will run virtualized Win10 on your laptop) but I’ve used VMware for years so I’m partial to it.

tna10006

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
1 & 2. You can run Win10/VMware 9 on this machine for light tasks with no penalty. I do so all the time and it’s quite fast.

3. Upgrade to VMware version 9 costs $49.99 but since you only have version 4, you’ll have to pay full price.

4. Parallels is faster (and will run virtualized Win10 on your laptop) but I’ve used VMware for years so I’m partial to it.
Thank you for your input.
For #4, what do you mean by running "virtualized Win10" on the laptop? Don't both Parallels and Fusion run Win10 virtualizations? I apologize if this is a dumb question; I'm still new to virtualization.

Also, I came across this older article about Fusion being faster overall. https://www.tekrevue.com/2015-vm-benchmarks-parallels-11-vs-fusion-8/. I know Parallels used to be the clear winner, but maybe Fusion caught up?

Last edited:

infernoguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
Thank you for your input.
For #4, what do you mean by running "virtualized Win10" on the laptop? Don't both Parallels and Fusion run Win10 virtualizations? I apologize if this is a dumb question; I'm still new to virtualization.

Also, I came across this older article about Fusion being faster overall. https://www.tekrevue.com/2015-vm-benchmarks-parallels-11-vs-fusion-8/. I know Parallels used to be the clear winner, but maybe Fusion caught up?

Meaning it will do the same as fusion and run Win10 virtualized without issues.

Mac03ForLife

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2017
Washington, DC
It's quite possible to run any of this with decent results. By all means, if it works for you, it works. However, I wouldnt try anything harder than the video editing.

EDIT: I misspoke. I have the 2011 one
Not sure how i missed that one

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.