Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Starlights

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2011
Can anyone confirm if VMW Fusion 10 pro runs on the 2018 15” MBPs.
On their website, VMW specifically excludes past 6 core models. There is no mention of 2018 models. I havent yet received my machine else I would have tried it myself

TIA

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Can anyone confirm if VMW Fusion 10 pro runs on the 2018 15” MBPs.
On their website, VMW specifically excludes past 6 core models. There is no mention of 2018 models. I havent yet received my machine else I would have tried it myself

TIA
VMWare Fusion works fine on 6 core Mac Pros. It'll work fine on the new MacBook Pro as well. The limitations that Fusion has with older computer has to do with CPU features that don't exist in some older processors, but that's not a factor on current computers, and it has nothing to do with the number of cores.

Starlights

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2011
VMWare Fusion works fine on 6 core Mac Pros. It'll work fine on the new MacBook Pro as well. The limitations that Fusion has with older computer has to do with CPU features that don't exist in some older processors, but that's not a factor on current computers, and it has nothing to do with the number of cores.

Thank you!

I can go ahead and buy a license then! :)

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thank you!

I can go ahead and buy a license then! :)
I'd use the demo license for now, I think it's good for 30 days. There's a new "Tech Preview" out which is generally indicative that a new version of Fusion will be coming soon.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Yes, Fusion works on a *Mac Pro* with 6 cores. It does on mine.

But the original question was *6-core MacBook Pro*
I explained why it didn't work on the older CPUs and the OP referenced older Macs with 6-core CPUs which can only be Mac Pros. Fusion will work fine on any recent Mac.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
As a side question, anyone know how battery life compares with Parallels vs Fusion, running Windows 10?

Starlights

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2011
I had to reinstall tools and reboot once again - now the VM runs fine and smooth.
I have ordered a portable ssd to install the rest of the VMs on that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.