Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rbelusko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
Hello

I'm hoping that someone can help me solve this perplexing problem....

I've been running a VMWare Hackintosh for many years and iMessage works just fine. However, I created a 2nd Apple ID and I can't get it working on the same Hackintosh.

Here is the breakdown:

Apple ID #1 - My primary Apple ID that is associated with my phone SIM # for calls and texts.

Apple ID #2 - New, backup Apple ID that is only associated with an email and a landline for two-factor authentication.

Apple ID #1 works on real Apple hardware AND my Hackintosh, with the proper .vmx file edits in place (shown below)

Apple ID #2 only works on real Apple hardware (Tested on a Macbook Pro and an iPhone X). Apple ID #2 does not work on my VMware Hackintosh, which happens to be the same Hackintosh that Apple ID #1 does work on.

Apple ID #2 will login/connect to iCloud and the other online services, but not to iMessage.

My conclusion: something has never been configured correctly in the Vmware .vmx file which is allowing Apple ID #1 to work, but is disallowing Apple ID #2 to work.

Here is my VMware .vmx edits which have allowed Apple ID #1 to work (since 2016):

Delete (from default .vmx config)
- board-id.reflectHost = "TRUE"
- ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
- ethernet0.generatedAddress = "xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx"
- ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

Add:

- board-id.reflectHost = "FALSE"
- board-id = "<Data from Clover>
- hw.model.reflectHost = "FALSE"
- hw.model = "<Data from Clover"
- serialNumber.reflectHost = "FALSE"
- serialNumber = "<Data from Clover>"
- smbios.reflectHost = "FALSE"
- ethernet0.addressType = "static"
- ethernet0.Address = "<Data from Web>"
- ethernet0.checkMACAddress = "false"
- efi.nvram.var.ROM.reflectHost = "FALSE"
- efi.nvram.var.MLB.reflectHost = "FALSE"
- efi.nvram.var.ROM = "<Random Numbers>"
- efi.nvram.var.MLB = "W80AxxxxxxA1A"

For the last line (MLB) I was filling in the xxxxxx with 6 random numbers, but leaving the front and the back. Whatever I do, Apple ID #2 will not work inside the Vmware Hackintosh. Please help!

Thanks

Bob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.