Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phlegmer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
Greetings,

I have recently upgrade from High Sierra to Mojave 10.14.3 and just last night upgraded to 10.14.4. Ever since I moved to Mojave, My VNC hasn't been working quite right.

I VPN into my home network via OpenVPN and then on occasion VNC into my Mac via TightVNC on a Win10 laptop. If the Mac I'm connecting to has not had a VNC connection made since it's last reboot, I'm able to VNC into it with no problems. If I close down TightVNC on the laptop, then later try to VNC back in, I'm just greeted with my user account name on the remote Mac screen and endless spinning circular hashes below my name. The only way I've seen to get it to work again is if I reboot the Mac.

This behavior did not happen to me prior to Mojave and is quite annoying to have to reboot the remote Mac in order to reconnect.

Anyone have any suggestions where to start on troubleshooting?

Thanks!

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
Have used both RealVNC and Finder’s own VNC client with FortiClient VPN with no issues at all on latest Mojave.

phlegmer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
Well I'm not sure what has changed on mine since I upgraded to Mojave. It works just fine once but after I close my connection and try again later, all I get is my Mac signon name and the spinning circle hashes like it's thinking. After I reboot the Mac, it will work just fine the first time again.

Any advise where to even start to look to troubleshoot?

Thanks

Update: I just downloaded the RealVNC viewer and the symptom is the same.

phlegmer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
Have a little more data. Discovered that this is related somehow with OpenVPN. If I'm on the same network @ home, no problems. Away from home using OpenVPN, then try to VNC into the Mac, initially works and then fails afterwards. All other OpenVPN activities I use seems to work just fine (manage router, NAS, etc) Very confused. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.