Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seme332

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
Berlin
Am I missing something or has sending a voice message has gotten horribly complicated in iOS/iPadOS 16? The tiny microphone in the input field only invokes speech to text now via a tap, while this is used in all other messaging app as a button to start recording a voice message. Tapping and holding does nothing. To record a voice message, you have to open the iMessage app drawer, open a „voice message app", and tap and hold a huge microphone that pops up. If you release the message sends. If you only tap it will record until you press stop, then the button changes to a play icon and you can send the message via the input field (not very discoverably). Opening the sheet opens a weird full screen voice memos clone. What is happening?

E0615778-8DD7-45F0-BAFF-A492FDF23112.jpeg

87399324-E486-4359-AE4D-06953FBA3718.jpeg

33940821-C12E-4655-9D3B-32A5B836E791.jpeg

AAC3A418-4425-4B77-8792-978F759EF897.jpeg

03C1EEAF-9702-4063-8649-8446763E0468.jpeg

E77C9D2F-8C0F-4BC3-B628-72AE369B2E4A.png

Reactions: ryanobe

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Voice messages is still a complete mess since many years in iMessage.

I can‘t undertstand why Apple isn‘t working on this. You even can‘t scrub in audio messages.

A much better, but complicate way, currently is: Record audio message in audio notes and share it via iMessage.

SoYoung

macrumors 65832
Jul 3, 2015
Voice message is a joke for years on iMessage. Even Messenger handle This bettet. Still not being able to listen audio message in the background is ridiculous. all they have to do is placing the mic icon at the same place as before, just do a single tap (not hold) record your message and tap the message to listen/edit or tap the send button and voila. Oh, and did I say being able to listen messages when doing other things?

maccymac42

Suspended
Jun 7, 2022
Lordy, you are not wrong. What a step backwards. When it became apparent they'd spruced up dictation, I got my hopes up. Just make voice notes available as transcribed text, and you hit two birds with one stone.

seme332

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
Berlin
Scrubbing is not available for me on iPhone 13 Pro Max.
That’s weird. I can scrub on an M1 iPad Pro with iPadOS 16 Beta installed. And I saw people reporting on Twitter that scrubbing is indeed possible in iOS. Everything around voice messages seems unfinished though, let’s hope this is all just temporary and gets changed during the beta cycle.

Gliedgenius

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2022
You can actually scrub in iOS 16 Beta 1! They just made the experience of recording a voice message incredibly painful?
Hot damn! Didn’t know that and wanted THAT specific feature for years! So happy right now, thanks.

However, I have to agree with OP, the voice memo interface to record new memos is just horrible.

Maybe we could like add a poll to see who likes this and who does not.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Ugh, I just discovered this and it's a HUGE PAIN! Before you could just hold the microphone in the text input field and it would record. Now it has the weird interface which uses the app drawer.

Why the heck would they change this? There's ALREADY a microphone button for dictation on the bottom right of the keyboard; they just duplicated that button in the input field now? This is just going to confuse people for no good reason.

SoYoung

macrumors 65832
Jul 3, 2015
Ugh, I just discovered this and it's a HUGE PAIN! Before you could just hold the microphone in the text input field and it would record. Now it has the weird interface which uses the app drawer.

Why the heck would they change this? There's ALREADY a microphone button for dictation on the bottom right of the keyboard; they just duplicated that button in the input field now? This is just going to confuse people for no good reason.
On top of that, its still don't work for regular SMS/MMS if the person don't have iMessage so I don't understand the change. If only we could send a regular MMS that way for non-iMessage user I"d easily accept the new change.

Anyway voice messages was always the big downside of iMessage IMO. Messenger and Telegram are way better for this and thats why I barely use imessage nowadays.

x34

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2014
is there any solution to this?

recording audio messages is horrible now with ios 16.

JV8

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2021

I checked it out just now. While it wasn't very intuitive to begin with, there's no full screen mic icon, so that's been fixed. And I simply changed the order of the iMessages apps so the Voice message app resides below. Overall not a bad change. and it's really fast.

oliviamaree

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2022
Glad I am not the only one! I use audio messages often, more than texting and I’m livid at the change - how ridiculous.

I was hoping there would be a setting that could change it back, like the web bar being at the top or base in Safari. But sadly not that I can see.

It’s horrible none the less!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.