Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

infobleep

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Hi there

My father uses the voiceover on his MacBook Pro which was running OS X El Capitan but as of today is now running MacOS Sierra.

When he visits some pages, such as Amazon or Wikipedia, and goes through the headings, he will encounter the voiceover every so often saying Safari Busy. At this point Safari will freeze and his only option is to come out of it and go back in. Which means reloading the page and finding where we last was. Not so straight forward when you rely on the computer to speak everything to you. Understandably he is getting rather frustrated by it and annoyed. It hasn't occurred on the BBC Web Site as of yet.

I upgraded his laptop to Sierra swiftly, to see if that would help but alas it made no difference.

I have experienced the Safari Busy myself on his MacBook Pro but I can't figure out what might be causing it.

Has anyone else experienced his or know what might be causing it. It's only relatively recent but it occurring on both OSs.

infobleep

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Following on from this, my father has narrowed down the problem.

He goes to the headings section and then closes that black window. Now he can navigate through all the headings.

This is fine until he hits a heading of about 70 characters or more. At soon as he does that he gets Safari busy.p

He gets out of this by turning the voiceover off, clicking just below the link he was on and then switching the voiceover back on.

Thus problem doesn't occur if he's navigating through the window of headlines, only if navigating through the page. It occurs on any Web Site.

It has to be a bug. I will test it myself.

Is there somewhere to report bugs to Apple so they can look into them and fix them?

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
I can't figure out what might be causing it.

Has anyone else experienced his or know what might be causing it. It's only relatively recent but it occurring on both OSs.[/QUOTE]

Since upgrading to Sierra I too am having trouble with Safari. Certain sites for security reasons show it as an "unsupported browser". The solution for me was to switch temporarily to Firefox.

Last edited:

infobleep

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
I can't figure out what might be causing it.

Has anyone else experienced his or know what might be causing it. It's only relatively recent but it occurring on both OSs.

Since upgrading to Sierra I too am having trouble with Safari. Certain sites for security reasons show it as an "unsupported browser". The solution for me was to switch temporarily to Firefox.[/QUOTE]
I may suggest switching to Firefox or Chrome. I don't know how different they are for a fairly blind person, my father has some sight. He's not technically minded as such but has the ability to learn the basics overtime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.