Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trinity05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2022
It appears that the latest version of iOS have a persistant volume issue. My new iPhone 12 with iOS 15.4.1 is quite a pain! I've tried different settings but very disappointed so far - Sounds & Haptics, Face ID & Passcode.

I even took it to an Apple technician & he said that the problem is in the iOS not the phone. It's a pain to have to remember to adjust the volume every time for every use - ringer, videos, alarm, games! My alarm clock sounds like waking up at a military camp!!!

How frustrating is it that no-one at Apple has figured that yet?!?!

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
It appears that the latest version of iOS have a persistant volume issue. My new iPhone 12 with iOS 15.4.1 is quite a pain! I've tried different settings but very disappointed so far - Sounds & Haptics, Face ID & Passcode.

I even took it to an Apple technician & he said that the problem is in the iOS not the phone. It's a pain to have to remember to adjust the volume every time for every use - ringer, videos, alarm, games! My alarm clock sounds like waking up at a military camp!!!

How frustrating is it that no-one at Apple has figured that yet?!?!
so what is wrong with face ID and passcode ?

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Never noticed this issue… probably has something to do with me being in silent mode almost 100% of the time, lol.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
What exactly is the problem? I haven't noticed anything different in the latest iOS version.

You may already know this, but in case you don't...there are two different sets of volume controls. The one found in Sounds & Haptics is just for the ringer and alerts (this also includes alarms). The volume control found in the Control Center is for all other media, such as music, video, games, etc. So you could have your ringer/alerts/alarms be loud and your music/videos/games be quiet, or vice versa.

Also, the volume buttons on the side only controls the media volume by default. If you have 'Change with Buttons' toggled on for the ringer/alert volume in Sounds & Haptics, then the volume control you are changing depends on what's playing (or not playing) at the time when the buttons are pressed. If nothing is playing, the buttons control the ringer/alert volume. If music, video, or game audio is playing, then the buttons will control the media volume. It should be visible on the screen which volume control is being changed when these buttons are pressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: ukms

Trinity05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2022
What exactly is the problem? I haven't noticed anything different in the latest iOS version.

You may already know this, but in case you don't...there are two different sets of volume controls. The one found in Sounds & Haptics is just for the ringer and alerts (this also includes alarms). The volume control found in the Control Center is for all other media, such as music, video, games, etc. So you could have your ringer/alerts/alarms be loud and your music/videos/games be quiet, or vice versa.

Also, the volume buttons on the side only controls the media volume by default. If you have 'Change with Buttons' toggled on for the ringer/alert volume in Sounds & Haptics, then the volume control you are changing depends on what's playing (or not playing) at the time when the buttons are pressed. If nothing is playing, the buttons control the ringer/alert volume. If music, video, or game audio is playing, then the buttons will control the media volume. It should be visible on the screen which volume control is being changed when these buttons are pressed.
Mainly, the volume. I had an iPhone 7 before & my volumes were fine. I'd set my alarm volume under Sounds, which used to be at its lowest. I guess the volume for games, videos, music was set that way too (since those never use to be an issue). The ringer volume using the volume buttons on the side.

Now, with my new iPhone 12, the alarm & ringer are set under Sounds & Haptics. If I set my ringer volume on medium, the alarm rings at medium volume. And this is a disturbance. As for the volume buttons on the side:

"If nothing is playing, the buttons control the ringer/alert volume" - mine doesn't work that way. It controls music, video, game. I've stopped seeing the ringer bar when I press those buttons.

Last thing being that the lowest volume on the new phone is louder. It doesn't produce white noise in the background while sleeping for instance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.