Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MatsSkoe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
I'm experiencing an annoying problem. NordVPN installed a lot of VPN configurations in the VPN menu within iOS settings. Actually duplicates after a reinstall of the application.

Now when I go to settings > VPN, the menu instantly freezes and after a while but not always the settings app crashes. I want to get rid of these configuration files but I don't know how.

What I tried, searching within the NordVPN app, remove the NordVPN app, hard reset, reset network settings, reset all settings. Even a clean iOS installation with iCloud restore afterwards... please help.

MatsSkoe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Not sure how NordVPN works...but do you have the configurations listed under "VPN CONFIGURATIONS" or under "PERSONAL VPN" in Setttings>General>VPN?

I can see the list as well. Settings>VPN and Settings>General>VPN seem to be the same. However both menus are completely unresponsive and then I need app-switcher to close Settings.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
If I remember correctly, connections under that heading, when added via OpenVPN, will disappear when OpenVPN is deleted. You would then think that the same would be true of the NordVPN app.

You should probably contact NordVPN about this. But...one thing you might try is deleting the NordVPN app and installing the OpenVPN app. You could then go to Settings to see what happens...just for kicks. But...I'm wondering if installing then DELETING the OpenVPN app would clear the configurations. Worth a shot.

MatsSkoe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Okay, I contacted NordVPN. They first suggested disabling the Kill Switch option within the app however that didn't solve it. Secondly they suggested to use the OpenVPN app with manual NordVNP configuration if the native NordVPN app wouldn't work, but the app actually works. They knew of this rare bug and are trying to solve it in next updates.

(edit: Thanks for your suggestions, also installing and removing the OpenVPN app didn't solve it)

Sheldonsmith

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
If I am following this correctly, try doing a search within the top settings menu for VPN and that will get you to the other VPN screens whereby you can disable connect on demand and remove files.

Also check to see if you have an extra vpn profile installed in the General settings menu.

MatsSkoe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
So the solution was to turn of auto lock phone and leave the vpn menu with all the different configurations open for probably at least half an hour, then it unfroze and I was able to delete the unwanted profiles. Now there is only one 'personal VPN' profile of NordVPN and the VPN setting in the main settings menu changed from parent menu to switch!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.