Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarlboroLite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
the 13 colonies
UPDATE 11/25/17: Go to this reply for resolution

I’ve had the Verizon X since launch day. I had no LTE signal issues until beginning on or about a week later when all of a sudden in my house where I have always had 3 bars of signal began to display ‘no service’ for pretty much the whole afternoon. This made me think it could have been some Verizon specific maintenance to its towers or who knows what. And as LTE signal returned the following day I believed this was what happened. Unfortunately while the ‘no service’ issue wasn’t recurring ever since that day my X repeatedly will drop LTE down to 1x dozens of times per day. And not iust in my House. This is happening to me all over New York City when it shouldn’t be. And the drop to 1x all but renders the phone useless. Not even sms messages get in or go through. Sometimes airplane mode toggle will bring back LTE but mostly it just doesn’t. After resetting network settings I thought it was finally fixed but my hopes were soon dashed and the signal began to drop yet again.

The only way for me to use this phone now out in the world in any reliable manner is on WiFi which is unacceptable. Signing on to crappy AF optimum WiFi hotspots is not the way this phone is intended to be used. Nor the reason I pay this obscenely greedy corporation every month to be getting.

Anyway is it just me? Anyone else having these connectivity problems in the NY metro area or anywhere else for that matter?

Should I set up a genious appointment otherwise?

Last edited:

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I think your last resort would be to restore on iTunes and setup as new to see if it corrects the issue. Genius will try that I'm sure.. If that doesn't do it there maybe a hardware issue.. I guess there's also a possibility of a firmware issue on Verizon's end but, you've got to start somewhere..

Rufuz42

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2017
I’ve had the Verizon X since launch day. I had no LTE signal issues until beginning on or about a week later when all of a sudden in my house where I have always had 3 bars of signal began to display ‘no service’ for pretty much the whole afternoon. This made me think it could have been some Verizon specific maintenance to its towers or who knows what. And as LTE signal returned the following day I believed this was what happened. Unfortunately while the ‘no service’ issue wasn’t recurring ever since that day my X repeatedly will drop LTE down to 1x dozens of times per day. And not iust in my House. This is happening to me all over New York City when it shouldn’t be. And the drop to 1x all but renders the phone useless. Not even sms messages get in or go through. Sometimes airplane mode toggle will bring back LTE but mostly it just doesn’t. After resetting network settings I thought it was finally fixed but my hopes were soon dashed and the signal began to drop yet again.

The only way for me to use this phone now out in the world in any reliable manner is on WiFi which is unacceptable. Signing on to crappy AF optimum WiFi hotspots is not the way this phone is intended to be used. Nor the reason I pay this obscenely greedy corporation every month to be getting.

Anyway is it just me? Anyone else having these connectivity problems in the NY metro area or anywhere else for that matter?

Should I set up a genious appointment otherwise?

This is happening to me too frequently. I got my X last night and it's dropped LTE signal completely 10+ separate times. What's frustrating is I can't repeat the problem at home, only when I'm out in public or in the car. It's super annoying, though.

MarlboroLite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
the 13 colonies
Just wanted to update this thread for anyone else who may be experiencing the same problem. I made a genius appointment at an Apple store to show them what was going on.

Their diagnostic software showed no hardware problems even though clearly I was having a demonstrable problem. My phone displayed no service while the Apple employee had mentioned that Verizon gets 1 bar in that store. I was grateful that the defect manifested while I was in the store since I was dreading the thought of having full bars in there and being told to turn around because it’s all in my head.

So bottom line is they replaced the phone with a new one and my signal problems have disappeared for good. Not one single drop from LTW to 1X since I was given the new phone. It’s clearly a hardware malfunction or defect. If this is happening to you take it to an Apple store and demand they replace it with a new one.

This is happening to me too frequently. I got my X last night and it's dropped LTE signal completely 10+ separate times. What's frustrating is I can't repeat the problem at home, only when I'm out in public or in the car. It's super annoying, though.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.