Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi,

I find myself doing more photo restorations along with my DVD slideshows for folks. So, i'm thinking of getting a wacom. I also plan to scan all my family's photos so i know i'm going to use this thing.

I saw another post on 'anyone using a tablet' and it was good, but didn't have the exact info i'm looking for, which is...suggestions.

I use photoshop obviously so i assume all tablets will work with it, but are there specific models? I'm not looking to spend over $500...in fact, hopefully less.
I saw that some folks regretted buying a smaller version....does a smaller size impact photo restorations in general or is a larger tablet more conducive to actually drawing...b/c i don't do the latter at all. i restore photos using crop, patch, heal etc..etc... in other words, i'll be circling or outlining objects and dragging or clicking buttons simultaneously.

screen is the 20" acd, powermac G4 and G5...mostly the latter. i'm not wireless yet nor do i have bluetooth.

apologies for my lack of knowledge of this. i know nothing about tablets, but if they'll save me time (and energy), then i'm in :)

Cheers,
Keebler

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
The easiest way to use a tablet is to use it with a printed picture on the surface. If you can do that, you'll cut your learning curve in half and increase your accuracy a lot. In that case, look for one the size you're willing to work with. The main price difference is in pressure levels, if you need that, then pay for it. if you're just outlining, then you may be able to skimp if you can find Mac drivers for the cheaper tablet.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
The easiest way to use a tablet is to use it with a printed picture on the surface. If you can do that, you'll cut your learning curve in half and increase your accuracy a lot. In that case, look for one the size you're willing to work with. The main price difference is in pressure levels, if you need that, then pay for it. if you're just outlining, then you may be able to skimp if you can find Mac drivers for the cheaper tablet.

thanks much! i can't see myself needing pressures so maybe the basic 512 pressures will do. i will really be just outlining. i'm excited to give this a whirl :)

tiggle

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2006
Hong Kong
I have been using the smallest wacom for some time now and find it great on a 17 inch screen. The only issue would be on accurately controling the slider controls in PS (with brightness for instance). It can be a little tricky, but it comes with practice. I put this down to the size of the tablet. I haven't used my tablet on a larger screen, where I guess the the smaller size would be even trickier to use on the sliders, but I will be moving to a bigger screen and have been considering buying a bigger tablet. The most important thing is to get one. They really do make working in photoshop much quicker and more intuitive. There is only a short learning curve on using it. It seems very difficult at first, but then begins to feel very very natural and intuitive.

Mac Kiwi

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2003
New Zealand
thanks much! i can't see myself needing pressures so maybe the basic 512 pressures will do. i will really be just outlining. i'm excited to give this a whirl :)

If you do layer masking as well,things like say wispy hair are easier to extract with more pressure for the airbrush use.

I use a Wacom Intuos 3 - 6 x 8.However the sizes over 6 x 8 can be a pain in the butt if you dont have a lot of room to work in.

If you buy an Intuos 3 get a transparent replacment overlay for tracing.

Personally I would only buy a Wacom tablet.They have good quality refurbs also.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
If you do layer masking as well,things like say wispy hair are easier to extract with more pressure for the airbrush use.

I use a Wacom Intuos 3 - 6 x 8.However the sizes over 6 x 8 can be a pain in the butt if you dont have a lot of room to work in.

If you buy an Intuos 3 get a transparent replacment overlay for tracing.

can i get this through wacom too? i don't see it on their site? sounds interesting.

Personally I would only buy a Wacom tablet.They have good quality refurbs also.

great feedback MK...thanks! i hadn't thought of their refurbs and am going to search it right now.

cheers,
b

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.