Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qveda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
I probably spend most of my computer time on email and web. But for Photoshop and Lightroom, I'm sure a pen-tablet would be great since it really hard to draw with a mouse.

I hear that after they get used to the pen-tablet, some folks end up seldom if ever using a mouse at all.

I'm strongly considering the Wacom Intuos4 (medium) since it has features that may allow it to fully replace using a mouse. But due to the price I'd like to see if there are users who:

a) use the pen-tablet, and seldom use a mouse anymore, or

b) used the pen-tablet, but only to draw, and still rely on a mouse for email, web, and non-drawing applications

macjram

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
I use a pen tablet for drawing and I use a mouse or the trackpack for everything else.

Hope that helps.

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
Using the pen to do my daily browsing and other apps i find it weird to do.

i use my tablet only for photoshop and aperture. but sometimes i might do so with my web making apps. but thats about it. everything i use with a mouse.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
I use my tablet as my primary input device. I still have a mouse plugged in, hidden behind the screen for if someone needs to use the machine and isn't used to a tablet.

Hint: assign one of the pen buttons to scroll, so when you have it held down, you're basically using a hand tool, in any app.

itou

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
I only ever use my Wacom tablet in Photoshop and Illustrator. For all else I use my beloved Logitech mouse.

same. except i just use the standard issue mighty mouse.
a tablet is indispensable. after you've used one, it's hard to ever go back to editing with a mouse.

csau06

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2006
Brisbane
Yep, I too use my Intuos 3 for photographic and creative work. If I'm just emailing & browsing the web it's generally back to the mouse, as the keyboard replaces the tablet on the desk.

Sometimes I stick with the tablet and use the laptop keyboard though.

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Sold my 3 and am now using a 4 Large. You will not be disappointed...while I still go into Photoshop's menus, most of the stuff is done off of the tablet using the buttons and scroll.

The ability to zoom in and out on a picture at will and at the point you want to zoom in / out of from the tablet is very nice. All in all, you will be able to work more efficiently (read: faster with less hassle).

Oh, and the mouse thing? It still gets used...just depends on how lazy I am being at the moment ;)

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
I've had my tablet for 3 years now. Going back to a mouse in Photoshop or Lightroom is like going back to the stone ages. The tablet is seriously the way to go.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I use a mouse almost always unless I need to draw something that needs a lot of precision, then I take out the tablet; I don't have a lot of room on my desk, so I only plug in the tablet when I need it.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
I use the tablet for everything. I find it is quicker and seemingly puts less strain on my wrist. Because of the absolute positioning I find it quicker to navigate than I would with a mouse.

Leafminer

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
Michigan
Although I am loving my Wacom4 - I still find myself going back to my Logitech mouse for apps other than Photoshop. Simply because the mouse is larger than the Wacom one - so it fits my hand better. I find the Wacom mouse much too small.

Mark

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.