Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mumstalker

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
Hello mates, i've been reading this forum for over a year, but i'm new as a registered user. i've been bitted by the photography bug. So i started studying it and i want you please to critic all my shots (the best ones).

I use a Sony DSC-H7 8.1mp Superzoom Camera, with the standard 15x Carl Zeiss Lens (no converter lenses). I primary shot in full Manual mode as i wanted to really learn how to use the Aperture, shutter speed, and i thought that the Automatic won't show me.

So this is the pics i think that are "decent", there are some ones i like a lot. Please ignore the Converse painting/painted ones as they aren't my photos (but the shoes are my work :D).

Thanks and hope to hear some nice/bad critics, suggestions, etc from some experienced

people.

Here's the Photostream http://www.flickr.com/photos/mumstalker/

/MumStalker

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
Did you do any post-processing on them? Because many of them look like Holgas (even though I know they were shot on a Sony), which is cool if that's what you are going for, but otherwise I think most of them have some serious exposure and color/saturation issues.

neenja

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
i agree weasel. some nice shots there, but they seem to be over edited with photoshop

Mumstalker

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
Did you do any post-processing on them? Because many of them look like Holgas (even though I know they were shot on a Sony), which is cool if that's what you are going for, but otherwise I think most of them have some serious exposure and color/saturation issues.

That was what i was looking, the old oversaturated/exposed Holga look. Like to give'em too much color to them so they looked a little unreal, i dunno if i explained well that :p. aside from the editing, how they seem? interesting? boring? bad taken? i'd like to became better so please point out all the mistakes you catch at them. Thanks!

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
I think they're good, some better than others. I'd say the problem is not that they're edited, but some are edited when they don't need to be. Especially for landscape shots, usually natural is better. For ever exposed sky shots, use Photoshop's raw editor to bring back some detail in the clouds (if you shoot .raw), that way they will look really nice without much editing.

Also consider cropping some of your images. Like this one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mumstalker/4132957104/

I'm no photo pro, but that's just my suggestions. I'm still learning too :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.