Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

legionsunited

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2018
Localhost
Hello folks, I'm currently torn between buying the already released M1 Mac Mini or wait for the new redesigned iMac 24inch w/ M1X chip.

My use case - I'm a student and I generally use my current MacBook Pro for reading PDF assignments/books and watch online videos in VLC/YouTube and make notes. I don't play any games at all, nor I do any video editing or photo editing. I just basically use these apps as of now - Safari, VLC, Preview and that's 99% of my workflow includes, but maybe in future I'll do some light photo/video editing and iOS development down the line.

Coming to Hardware - I don't have any monitor to begin with (will buy LG 2K 27" monitor). I just have a Logitech K380 Keyboard and a cheap Bluetooth mouse (though I will buy Magic Trackpad 2 later) and also coming to speakers I have HomePod and that's it. I don't need a webcam as of now.

So, should I wait for the new iMac (considering I lack most of the Hardware) or go buy the M1 Mac Mini now?
The Only compelling reason for me to wait for a new iMac 24 inches is because iMac is all-in-one bundle and looks aesthetically pleasing and have its own minimalistic aura in the room.

Thank you for reading this.

Reactions: Donfor39

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Hello folks, I'm currently torn between buying the already released M1 Mac Mini or wait for the new redesigned iMac 24inch w/ M1X chip.

My use case - I'm a student and I generally use my current MacBook Pro for reading PDF assignments/books and watch online videos in VLC/YouTube and make notes. I don't play any games at all, nor I do any video editing or photo editing. I just basically use these apps as of now - Safari, VLC, Preview and that's 99% of my workflow includes, but maybe in future I'll do some light photo/video editing and iOS development down the line.

Coming to Hardware - I don't have any monitor to begin with (will buy LG 2K 27" monitor). I just have a Logitech K380 Keyboard and a cheap Bluetooth mouse (though I will buy Magic Trackpad 2 later) and also coming to speakers I have HomePod and that's it. I don't need a webcam as of now.

So, should I wait for the new iMac (considering I lack most of the Hardware) or go buy the M1 Mac Mini now?
The Only compelling reason for me to wait for a new iMac 24 inches is because iMac is all-in-one bundle and looks aesthetically pleasing and have its own minimalistic aura in the room.

Thank you for reading this.
I would wait for an iMac, but if your contemplating getting an Mac mini and you say your only a light user, why dont you just plug your MacBook into a external monitor?

Last edited:
Reactions: colodane

ggx12

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2021
To your point, if you have to purchase everything, I'd just wait for the new iMac (Worst case WWDC, IMO) as you'd probably end up spending the same amount in a much less appealing format...

ondert

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Canada
I’ve jumped on the train and got an M1 mini after I sold my iMac. Oh boy it’s a capable machine but these monitors currently on the market piss me off. All of them are with that crappy matte film ruining the colors. They are not vivid like on iMac.
I’m just waiting for the upcoming AS iMac, then will get rid of these.

Reactions: Icaras

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
I’ve jumped on the train and got an M1 mini after I sold my iMac. Oh boy it’s a capable machine but these monitors currently on the market piss me off. All of them are with that crappy matte film ruining the colors. They are not vivid like on iMac.
same, glossy display look more premium.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I couldn't wait anymore and went for the M1 Mac mini and its super capable. I'm a fairly heavy Logic Pro X user and this thing crunches through my projects with ease (30-40 tracks per project, with mostly virtual instruments and the occasional large 3rd party sound library). I do agree about the 3rd party monitors too. I've been spoiled by Apple quality displays and it's an eye sore to lose that. I'm really happy with the Mac mini though so I'm just hoping Apple can release their own consumer level external display at some point.

Pacific1972

macrumors regular
May 2, 2020
Germany
Hello, the advantage is the easy transport of the Mac Mini M1 !

You have then a computer which is today much faster than most other
- Big Sur for work, iOS compatible and the M1 chip today have the
power of a game console - only need internet and a HDMI Display,
put Mouse, Keyboard and Game controller in your bagpack...

For stationary use I would look at minimum for a stylish 27" monitor,
but think about Desk Setup with 29"-34" wide monitor (Dell / Xiaomi).

?? it's not cheap, but price difference from this config to an
upcoming 24" iMac (2021) was surely hundreds of dollars... ??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.