Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hello there.

I open this thread because, although there’s not as much people waiting for the next iPad Pro as MacBook Pro users waiting for the next one, I’m considering at this point waiting for the next iPad Pro, and here are my reasons:

- I’m not gonna fully use my iPad Pro (which is going to become my main device, replacing my old MacBook Pro) until October of this year. And the new iPad Pro will probably get announced at that time.

- iOS 13 comes with a lot of new features that, from what I see (different instances of the same app, several multitaskers, etc) they will be memory hungry. I’m talking about RAM. After several releases of iPad Pro with 4GB of RAM, and with one device that reaches 6GB of RAM, I think the next generation will come with 6 or 8GB of RAM, which will come in handy to move iOS 13 and future operative systems.

- A13 “Omega” (let’s use that name for now) will have the same 7nm process SoC, but it’s going to be improved (N7+) and using EUV lithography. The A12 Bionic was pretty similar to the A11 at least in terms of CPU and slightly better GPU, the big difference was the dramatic gain in area for the Neural Engine. I honestly expect the A13 to be a big jump in terms of performance, not due to the manufacture process, but to the new architecture design. I don’t know what will happen, but that’s my bet. And if the A12X is a monster, the A13X might be a titan.

- OLED Display. This one keeps me thinking... I’m not a fan of OLED displays. I actually prefer a good LCD panel. But it’s been reported that next gen iPad Pro, at least the 11” one, will come with an OLED panel. I don’t know if we can trust this rumors, or just asume that Apple wont take risks to release a display that might get easily burnt, or may give headaches to users (I’ve read a lot of problems regarding OLED iPhones on this forum, irritated eyes, headaches, all due to the way OLED dims the screens). So this will be a factor to take into account: No OLED, I buy the next iPad Pro. If it’s powered with an OLED display, I will try to buy the current at a discount.

- Stronger design: the bending issue has never been a big deal for me. I tried two iPad Pro, the first one was flat as hell, the second one had a slight bending that wasn’t easily noticeable, so as I said, no big deal. But I’m sure after all the noise on media and the iPads that were actually bent just right of the box (because I won’t deny the problem), Apple has designed a slightly thicker body to make the next iPad Pro a bit stronger. Just like they did after the iPhone 6 bend gate replacing 6000 Series Aluminum by 7000 Series.

Also the new iPad Pro will come with iPadOS preinstaled, which is going to be the bare minimum for me to use the iPad Pro as a computer replacement.

Anyone else is waiting, just like myself?

Let’s keep this up to date with every new rumor of the new 2019/20 iPad Pros! (There aren’t many tho)

Reactions: Never mind

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Yes, i am curious what cpu will put, a13 or a13X? The "so easy to bend" issue must be adressed by coming back to a 6.1mm thickness or going to 7000series
Oled, i hope not, not until 120hz panel, right now we are at 90hz OLED
Now with mouse support, for me its clear the 120hz helps for smoothness , my 11" ipp the cursor "travels" pretty well, on my ipad mini 4, very often jumps, or when i try to select text it rarely it feels easy to do it
So, 120hz no matter lcd or oled is the way to go now

Reactions: Populus

happyhippo1337

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2013
Don't really think that they'll bring out one in 2019. The current one is so far ahead of the competition that they could wait until 2021 to refresh it.

Reactions: Precursor

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I agree we are less likely to see a new Pro this year, especially with all the improvements the new OS will bring, that will be the upgrade many people are after which will likely bring additional hardware sales for Apple. I also very much doubt we will see OLED in the next Pros. If you don't plan on using the device till October though, it makes sense to wait till then and see what options are available.
RAM is the biggest upgrade factor for me - the current 11 Pro is just fine at 4GB but a new OS and eventual new hardware with more RAM will have me upgrading since I will be more productive with the new OS and external drive support.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
You might want to do some research on the latest OLED displays. 2-3 years ago burn-in was a big issue. The companies have addressed this with pixel-shift and other issues. Many reports now say it is a not a real issue. Don't know about the headache issues.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I don’t think they will update the iPad Pros this year. The Pros are on a 18 month cycle, I really don’t think they will release a new one only 12 months or less than the big redesign.

One question I do have, is the 2018 worth upgrading too from the 2nd gen 2017? I’m thinking about giving my 2017 version to me mother who will need an upgrade from her Air 2 soon.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
One question I do have, is the 2018 worth upgrading too from the 2nd gen 2017? I’m thinking about giving my 2017 version to me mother who will need an upgrade from her Air 2 soon.

If you find the size of weight of the 2017 12.9 Pro a little excessive or would really like FaceID then it is absolutely a good upgrade. Otherwise, it is just essentially an aesthetic and power bump which may not necessarly represent good value for money.

Reactions: Dave245

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
If you find the size of weight of the 2017 12.9 Pro a little excessive or would really like FaceID then it is absolutely a good upgrade. Otherwise, it is just essentially an aesthetic and power bump which may not necessarly represent good value for money.

I do use my iPad Pro a lot, i like using the Apple Pencil for drawing, notes and editing photos in Pixelmator. The weight of my 2017 doesn’t really bother me. However I was thinking about trying out the Smart Keyboard, that got me thinking if it’s just worth getting the new iPad with the new pencil and Smart Keyboard.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
One of the reasons I purchased the new iPad Pro, was because it wasn’t refreshed or replaced every 12 months like the iPhone is. The 2018 iPad Pro would easily last 2 years in the industry against other competing tablets while remaining the ultimate in top performance.

It will most likely be in mid 2020 when the iPad Pro 4th gen will release.

If Apple did release a iPad in 2019 it would probably bring nothing more than 5G cellular, although Apple would never release a 5G iPad before releasing a 5G iPhone first.

So still most likely 2020 June.

The 2018 iPad Pro is already awesome. And Apple is surely 100% focused on the next iPhones right now.

Reactions: Dave245

seatton

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2013
Seattle, WA
I am waiting for a new iPad Pro, too (I have my 9.7 Pro - I use it most of the time for just reading books).

I don't think they will release a new model this year. What I think it is likely to happen is that they may keep the same price point, but starting from 128GB for $799 instead of 64GB. I don't want a 64GB, but I don't want a 256GB model. A lot of my friends who want a new Pro feel the same way.

Update:
I cannot wait anymore so I just got a 64GB 11" today from Amazon. It is $650 today - cannot turn it down. I am super excited.

Last edited:

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
I am waiting for a new iPad Pro, too (I have my 9.7 Pro - I use it most of the time for just reading books).

I don't think they will release a new model this year. What I think it is likely to happen is that they may keep the same price point, but starting from 128GB for $799 instead of 64GB. I don't want a 64GB, but I don't want a 256GB model. A lot of my friends who want a new Pro feel the same way.

I’m surely buying the iPad Pro 4th gen whenever it comes. I don’t want 128GB or 256GB lol.

I want 1,536GB or 2,048GB. Or another 1024GB will do just fine also.

Jessemtz25

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
Colorado
You can always be waiting on the next gen iPad but you'll constantly be waiting. I jumped on a IPP and watch 4 deal last week that I just couldn't resist. It think it’s a great time to find a deal on the latest pro and take it!

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
You can always be waiting on the next gen iPad but you'll constantly be waiting. I jumped on a IPP and watch 4 deal last week that I just couldn't resist. It think it’s a great time to find a deal on the latest pro and take it!

I keep telling people this. The 3rd gen iPad Pro has at least 12 months left for before a new one will launch

PTLove

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Ill be buying a new iPad Pro when iPadOS hits public beta. The desktop safari and files apps are what have kept me off the ipad - these both seem fixed now. The day the public beta hits is the day I buy a iPad Pro :)

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006

I upgraded from a 2nd gen 12.9 to a 3rd gen. I honestly don't a noticable difference in performance, but the size, face ID and USB-C are nice.

Populus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I agree with many of you. Also the A12X is a beast. And now it’s easy to find good deals.

What worries me the most, though, is the huge amount of RAM iPad OS seems to need. And the fear of having not enough memory making it perform worse (there is a heavy focus on multitask and multiple app instances).

But yeah, I can always sell the current Pro at a good price (maybe 550€) and save some money to get the next. If it doesn’t come with an OLED display, that’s it.

Kuo, bro, if you’re reading this, please give us another of your iPad Pro predictions.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I agree with many of you. Also the A12X is a beast. And now it’s easy to find good deals.

What worries me the most, though, is the huge amount of RAM iPad OS seems to need. And the fear of having not enough memory making it perform worse (there is a heavy focus on multitask and multiple app instances).

But yeah, I can always sell the current Pro at a good price (maybe 550€) and save some money to get the next. If it doesn’t come with an OLED display, that’s it.

Kuo, bro, if you’re reading this, please give us another of your iPad Pro predictions.

You could always get the current 1TB iPad Pro to get extra memory today.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA

Yep, go get a 1TB/6GB if your that worried about it. Not to mention the the internal storage is drastically faster than all of the lower tier models.

The 4th gen iPad Pro models will probably be equipped with the same amount of memory. Only a year from now.

How much is a base model iPad Pro 4th gen going to cost? Who knows, Apple slowly increases the price on any product that release generation after generation.

I might just skip the 4th gen all together.
[doublepost=1559771094][/doublepost]Just to add. iPad Pro 2nd gen to 3rd gen went up $100 dollars. So 4th gen will probably add another $100 dollars. Why do manufacturers do this? They slowly feed us a price increase. Next thing you know, in 2020+ a top of the line iPad will be $3,000 bucks.

Last edited:

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Requires OLED or microled display for me to upgrade again...I believe they are going OLED on ipads next year based on some new agreements they made with Samsung.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
[doublepost=1559771094][/doublepost]Just to add. iPad Pro 2nd gen to 3rd gen went up $100 dollars. So 4th gen will probably add another $100 dollars. Why do manufacturers do this? They slowly feed us a price increase. Next thing you know, in 2020+ a top of the line iPad will be $3,000 bucks.
That’s $150-200. Base A10X Pro 10.5/$649 and 12.9/$799 while base A12X Pro 11/$799 and 12.9/$999.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.