Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ljupco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2021
Macedonia
I have been trying to send magic packets to wake up my mini from either sleep or shutdown but without success. I have enabled the wake up settings in Power and Energy settings and have tried both Wi-Fi and ethernet Mac addresses but again no success.

Has anyone been able to actually wake up an M1 with wake on lan?

The only thing found in discussion forums over the net is related to other os than big sur and is quite dated.

arossco

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2014
I can waken my M1 mini using Apple's Screen Sharing app on my MBP - great for remote operation.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
What do you want to do. Have you tried setting up sharing for the stuff you want to access and see if that works. I can access files and screen sharing on my m1 air, when it is "sleeping"

Ljupco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2021
Macedonia
What do you want to do. Have you tried setting up sharing for the stuff you want to access and see if that works. I can access files and screen sharing on my m1 air, when it is "sleeping"
I want to turn on the mini from the phone or to wake it up from sleep also via phone or an app from the phone

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Access files on the computer, remotely control the computer

Works fine from phone on lan, with windows-sharing setting enabled in file sharing, using registered user as logon. This is MBA m1 connected to power suply (which a mini will have to anyway).

Ljupco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2021
Macedonia

Works fine from phone on lan, with windows-sharing setting enabled in file sharing, using registered user as logon. This is MBA m1 connected to power suply (which a mini will have to anyway).
The app looks ok but basically it's a file sharing app for remote access. That means the computer has to be turned on already.

What I had on my PC was a Wake on Lan app which can turn the pc on and than you take over the pc via TeamViewer and you can do whatever you want from there. That kind of an app is what I 'm trying to find.

Thanks for the help though.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
No it is "sleeping". But wake on lan is enabled in battery/power settings. If you want internet there are other problems and you didn't specify that. It used to be built into macos and airports (back to my Mac it was called, but Apple has removed it and dropped network routers, so people instead pay to use iCloud instead of running own machines as server).

Ljupco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2021
Macedonia
No it is "sleeping". But wake on lan is enabled in battery/power settings. If you want internet there are other problems and you didn't specify that. It used to be built into macos and airports (back to my Mac it was called, but Apple has removed it and dropped network routers, so people instead pay to use iCloud instead of running own machines as server).
It figures then. Thanks for the help though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.