Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 15, 2015
I have a 2012 rMBP OSX and a ThinkPad T460s with Win7. I've noticed the wake from sleep on the ThinkPad is miserably slow vs. how fast the Mac is ready to go from sleep. Also, the startup time is massively different getting to the login screen even though both have SSD.

Can someone explain the technical details of why this is so?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
No idea, about the slowness, but i notice the same on my Windows PC as well. My guess would be Microsoft has to resume more services, since more get shut off on Windows platform when things go to sleep... Programming wound play a role,,, Apple would just be more 'fine-tuned' for getting the stuff up as quick as possible, where as Microsoft would have to rely on other services and dependencies which must start first in order to get others running..

All that takes time... not to mention Registry stuff too..

This is probably not too technical, but its probably exact.

Reactions: BeefCake 15

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
i7 vs i5, OS level overhead is different between *NIX based OSs and Window, what's stored onto during during a sleep state and how the various sleep states are designed. Registries are static to a point, they're simply a reference file. Preferences and whatnot are placed in config files within a user account's appdata folder under Windows. The real problem with Windows startup and application execution has always been its archaic method of task handling. If a software bugs out, it slows down the activation of other software during the startup process. Windows 8 and 10 address this in some manner. Differences between startup and sleep states are close if not the same with new OS and hardware. A desktop running W10 with a PCI-E boot drive will startup and come from sleep as fast if not faster than a Mac with the new software. With Apple, you pay a premium, whether it's worth it or not depends on the hardware. Apple was the first on the market to bring PCI-E NVMe into laptops. Windows laptop manufacturers began a few years after. Apple may use older and slower hardware, but they do bring one "bleeding edge" component into the mix every other year or so.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
So many variables: hardware, OS, services, config, etc., I mean your hardware alone has dozens of considerations with the time for the POST, CPU, storage speed and interface.

FWIW, on my 2015 MBP 15", OS ... er, I mean, macOS :D starts about the same speed as Windows 10 (Bootcamp) on the same machine, the Win10 takes a little longer post login to get to a usable state vs. macOS, even though the latter has a few more services (development related), a couple of the Winows startup apps are a little sluggish (and have to ping remote services).

My dedicated Windows notebook, gets to the same point at the BC above a good bit quicker, even with the same services/apps (it's pretty beastly :D)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Maybe you need to reset your Thinkpad. When was the last time you restarted it? Don't confuse me for an expert. Just throwing out some things I've done to speed my iPad back up. :)

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 15, 2015
Maybe you need to reset your Thinkpad. When was the last time you restarted it? Don't confuse me for an expert. Just throwing out some things I've done to speed my iPad back up. :)
This is a fairly brand new unit (months old) and is locked down software wise for work. I didn't even want to go beyond the start screen as I can only imagine the endless variables that can affect the start time. I'm talking wake to start screen or even off mode to start screen timings are noticeably different

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.