Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bjessim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2023
I am a new user to Mac. Just shifted to to macbook air from windows and now using it on clamshell mode with external lenovo monitor. My macbook air has the latest Ventura 13.3.1.

I wanted to know two things:

a) Does macbook wake up only on mouse movemenbt and mouse click and not on keyboard key press?

b) I am using a wireless logitech mouse that has a plug that I plug into my hub trhats connecte dto my Macbook. But I notice quite often the mouse is loosing connection. Is it that I must use mouse with inbuilt bluetooth and directly connect it with macbook air using macbook bluetooth and use?

Kindly help me with the replies to my doubts please.

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
When it’s in clamshell mode, both a key press or a mouse click will wake it.

Your wireless mouse can either lose connection on the wireless portion of the trip (in which case that’s its problem, the connection is all proprietary and invisible to the computer) or it gets disconnected from the hub (in which case you need to troubleshoot around the hub and maybe try connecting it directly).

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
b) I am using a wireless logitech mouse that has a plug that I plug into my hub trhats connecte dto my Macbook. But I notice quite often the mouse is loosing connection. Is it that I must use mouse with inbuilt bluetooth and directly connect it with macbook air using macbook bluetooth and use?

I'd imagine that when a Mac is sleeping, all data connections to the external ports are terminated. With a mouse connected via Bluetooth, the Mac will continue to stay connected to it for wake events.

bjessim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2023
When it’s in clamshell mode, both a key press or a mouse click will wake it.

Your wireless mouse can either lose connection on the wireless portion of the trip (in which case that’s its problem, the connection is all proprietary and invisible to the computer) or it gets disconnected from the hub (in which case you need to troubleshoot around the hub and maybe try connecting it directly).
@Toutou Thanks a trillion for your advise. It was the hub i guess caused the issue. Anyhow I now use direct wired mouse and its works fine. Does this mean that I can never use bluetooth mouse with Macbook and monitor set up?

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
Does this mean that I can never use bluetooth mouse with Macbook and monitor set up?
You said that your mouse was one of the proprietary-protocol kind mice that have a tiny wireless USB dongle. From the point of view of the Mac, that's a wired mouse (the Mac has no idea about the wireless connection between the USB hardware and the actual mouse) which has to be powered in order to register a click (because something has to power the wireless connection), which is an unusual combination that may not work with some computers (and maybe hubs I guess).

A Bluetooth mouse stays connected to the Mac even when it's sleeping, so it can wake it. Both my Magic Mouse (BT) and my Magic Keyboard (also BT) can wake my MacBook in clamshell mode, no problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.