Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NCWildcat

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
So at work I often keep my phone laying flat on my desk and can't always view notifications as they come in. So when I want just wake up my iPhone 7 with TouchID, it reads my fingerprint so fast that it unlocks the phone, when I just want to view notifications. I have verified that Settings>General>Accessibility>Home Button>Rest Finger to Open is off. So if I'm understanding this feature correctly, I should be able to use my finger to wake up the screen, then press again if I want to unlock it, correct? My workaround is to wake it up with a finger that is not registered with TouchID. I have also tried rebooting the phone but it still just reads my fingerprint and unlocks the phone with one press.

When I pull the phone out of my pocket and Raise to Wake comes on, I can rest my finger on TouchID and it will stay awake until I press it and then it will unlock the phone, so that seems to work as intended.

Am I doing this wrong, or is anyone else having an issue with this? Thanks.

Reactions: beaver82

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
It does the same on my 7+, even with it on the slowest setting. I would either use a non-scanned finger, as you've been doing or the tip of a finger.

beaver82

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2008
It does the same on my 7+, even with it on the slowest setting. I would either use a non-scanned finger, as you've been doing or the tip of a finger.
the speed setting you are referring to is for the double click, it's not for unlock speed.

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016
hmm...i think this is a bug with raise-to-wake and/or the rest-finger-to-open setting.

if you have raise-to-wake enabled, you only need to press the home button once and touchid kicks in to unlock the phone (this is without doing the actual raising of the phone), even if rest-finger-to-open is DISABLED, which it shouldn't since it's disabled.

if you have raise-to-wake disabled, then the press home button once to wake (to view your notifications and such), and once again to open/unlock, behaves as intended.

Last edited:
Reactions: beaver82

beaver82

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2008
hmm...i think this is a bug with raise-to-wake and/or the rest-finger-to-open setting.

if you have raise-to-wake enabled, you only need to press the home button once and touchid kicks in to unlock the phone (this is without doing the actual raising of the phone), even if rest-finger-to-open is DISABLED, which it shouldn't since it's disabled.

if you have raise-to-wake disabled, then the press home button once to wake (to view your notifications and such), and once again to open/unlock, behaves as intended.
this worked for me. seems to be a bug.

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016
It makes sense to me. I don't think it's a bug at all.
Do this:

1. Have "rest finger to open" disabled
2. Have "raise to wake" disabled
3. Lock the screen
4. Click the home button and keep your finger on it
RESULT: it will not unlock. you have to click the home button again. this is correct and goes with what's intended in step 1.

Now try this:

1. have "rest finger to open" disabled
2. have "raise to wake" enabled (this will be the only change from the scenario above).
3. lock the screen
RESULT: it will unlock. this doesn't jive with the setting in step 1. it's a bug.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I see what you're saying, but that's not how Apple intended it to work. When rest finger to open is disabled (the default) you have to press the home button to unlock the device. If rest finger to open is enabled, them you don't press the home button at all. It'll just unlock by resting your finger on the home button of an awakened device.

Consider the use case for which this was designed...raise to wake. iOS 10 puts a lot of power onto the lock screen. Prior to iOS 10, people would press the home button any boom--straight to the home screen, missing the notifications.

With iOS 10 raise to wake, you just pick up the phone (or press the sleep/wake button) to interact with the lock screen. If you want to unlock the phone, you have to press the home button so it can register your fingerprint.
[doublepost=1475182799][/doublepost]
1. have "rest finger to open" disabled
2. have "raise to wake" enabled (this will be the only change from the scenario above).
3. lock the screen
RESULT: it will unlock. this doesn't jive with the setting in step 1. it's a bug.
It unlocked BECAUSE you pressed the home button.

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016
I see what you're saying, but that's not how Apple intended it to work. When rest finger to open is disabled (the default) you have to press the home button to unlock the device. If rest finger to open is enabled, them you don't press the home button at all. It'll just unlock by resting your finger on the home button of an awakened device.

Consider the use case for which this was designed...raise to wake. iOS 10 puts a lot of power onto the lock screen. Prior to iOS 10, people would press the home button any boom--straight to the home screen, missing the notifications.

With iOS 10 raise to wake, you just pick up the phone (or press the sleep/wake button) to interact with the lock screen. If you want to unlock the phone, you have to press the home button so it can register your fingerprint.
[doublepost=1475182799][/doublepost]
It unlocked BECAUSE you pressed the home button.
In the two scenarios I posted, the only setting change was in step 2 (raise-to-wake disabled vs. enable), yet it changed the behavior of the home button (both scenarios having rest-finger-to-open disabled).

This makes no sense as the setting for raise-to-wake is under "display & brightness" and rest-finger-to-open is under "home button"

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.