Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Addict

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Chicagoland
I'm taking photo up a notch and wanted to expand my photographs beyond the family party's & other social events. I've done some walking around the city, work, factories and am getting some decent shots.

So, what do you look for when you're walking on a shoot? What catches your eye that triggers a shot?

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I'm taking photo up a notch and wanted to expand my photographs beyond the family party's & other social events. I've done some walking around the city, work, factories and am getting some decent shots.

So, what do you look for when you're walking on a shoot? What catches your eye that triggers a shot?

You'll get 100 different answers from 100 photographers. More to the point, what are YOU interested in? :)

Mac Addict

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Chicagoland
You'll get 100 different answers from 100 photographers. More to the point, what are YOU interested in? :)

I love landscapes. Natural beauty of the earth is awesome to say the least. I'm sure you're right about everyone having an eye for something different. My love for landscapes must come from my childhood spending a lot of time on my parents farm & traveling with grandma to Norway.

codemancmc

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
I love landscapes. Natural beauty of the earth is awesome to say the least. I'm sure you're right about everyone having an eye for something different. My love for landscapes must come from my childhood spending a lot of time on my parents farm & traveling with grandma to Norway.

Think Cityscape, but not in the typical fashion of a bunch of tall buildings. Anything can take on new meaning in wide angle, so force youself to look at the world through this perspective and only shoot with one wide lens. Also look to shoot early in the morning and at dusk when the light is beautiful in some areas, moody in others.

Placing restrictions on yourself is the easiest way to see and create art.

Happy hunting!

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
Wide Angles lenses are great for this, in the city you really would only need a telephoto when trying to focus in on a specific object maybe a gargoil or whatever those things are on the older building or maybe an animal in a park.

Make sure you go out at different times of the day, the different types of light will give you many different types of photos even taking the exact same photo. What works during the morning may not work in the afternoon.

Also try different ISO settings. I have some photos of fountains/water features taken in Sydney just as was really getting dark, used the ambient light and ISO1600 and the photos are really nice (to me).

Also look for reflections on skyscrapers, especially when reflecting the building opposite.

Try getting evening lights in a busy area, maybe a longer exposure from an elevated walkway, focus on an object and see if you can blur the rest of the frame so it shows motion and not just still life. Or go the opposite, blur one object and still life everything else.

Hold the camera up in the air and shoot over the crowds walking the pavement. Shoot things written on the ground like directions for pedestrians.

Pretty much anything and everything is fair game. make sure you have enough memory and just click away, try and avoid reviewing too much on the run unless you want to verify a specific pic worked.

Bootsie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Utah
I think that this is the difference between someone who takes pictures, and a photographer. Photography is art, I think that those who are truly photographers (no matter what gear they have) have an eye for the art of it.

I know that when I started photography it changed the way that I see the world, it has been a great experience for me to see the beauty of the world around me that I had never paid attention to before. You begin to see the beautiful inspiring pictures that exist in your everyday life, and that is when your pictures will become more than snapshots.

As far as advice I would give you.... no one can tell you what to look for, it is your art. I would spend time learning about the basics of photography and some of the basic rules that will help you to learn to frame a photograph. And then just go out and shoot. Maybe join a photography forum (I love http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php very helpful and informative people) to get comments and critique on your photos and just have fun, if it is something that you love it will come to you.

phiberglass

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Those last 2 posts were great! And yes, he state POTN forum is a great forums, and I have learned much and am still learning a ton from there all the time. Just learn the basics, go out shoot, come back review see what you did see what you did wrong and then go shoot again. Soon you'll know what settings you need and when to use them to get a desired effect. I'll take my camera with me and go out with a friend and just drive around looking for some good spots.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
My friend told me something that is really worth considering... the worst photo you take is the one you don't take at all.

Click away, you aren't paying to develop rolls and rolls of film. A photo doesn't need to exist by itself. You may take a photo today that you regard as boring, uninspiring and really pointless. Wait a year or two when say you decide to do one of those montages where you use lots of photos to make a new image on a wall etc. That boring photo be the one photo that caps it off.

Something as dull as a street sign becomes a reference point in a slide show you do for your parents after you complete a trip. One of the best things about digital photography is that you can take thousands of photos for the cost of the camera and memory card, print what you like when you like or not at all. No need to restrict yourself.... if the camera isn't shooting then everything that happens is in your mind and cannot be shared with anyone.

That sunset was so amazing... the colors just made the sky look so surreal... the orange looked like you know those oranges you get at the store.. the darker ones, not the lighter ones....I wish i could show you a picture....

Mac Addict

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Chicagoland
Thanks for the different views on this. I've checked out the link above & have found some great reading and agree with all the comments. I do like wide angle so, I'll empty the cf card & start shooting :)

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I like putting a fast 50 on the camera and walking out and about looking for street kids etc. I have this wierd fascination with those self-imposed homeless kids with the mohawks and chains. A pack of them in-front of some of the old crumbling brick buildings downtown make for some awesome B&W conversions (IMO).

SLC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.