Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
My goal is to lower my weight and body fat. It's currently at around 16% Out of these 2 activities, which would burn more calories and give my body a more lean and slim look?

Here's a screenshot of my workout. I don't quite understand some of these stats. Would appreciate if someone can break it down to me.

[doublepost=1560745286][/doublepost]What's the difference between active calores and total calories? And also what does 18' 11" mean for average pace?

IMG_0853.jpg

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
My goal is to lower my weight and body fat. It's currently at around 16% Out of these 2 activities, which would burn more calories and give my body a more lean and slim look?

Here's a screenshot of my workout. I don't quite understand some of these stats. Would appreciate if someone can break it down to me.

[doublepost=1560745286][/doublepost]What's the difference between active calores and total calories? And also what does 18' 11" mean for average pace?

View attachment 843331

irregardless of the app data, the answer to yr question is which activity are you the likeliest to be able to do continuously over a multi-year plan.

whatever the app says about calories spent, is irrelevant to your goal.
in weight loss, there are no shortcuts.

which activity can you make into a long term habit?

if your goal is building muscle, or short term weight loss (always a mistake) then exertion may be useful to know. but don't be fooled. effective weight loss that shows results and is healthy and contributes to fitness is almost impossible short term.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
I am only concerned with losing weight and body fat. The only exercises I do are walking and cycling.

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
Portion control is the answer for weight loss. The number of calories you can burn walking or cycling is minor in comparison to what your food intake represents.

Aerobic exercise is great for health and fitness, but it’s not a path to effective weight loss. Control your eating and do whichever exercises you find the most enjoyable.

I’m an ultramarathon runner and I still have to watch what I eat. You can’t outrun your fork.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I second that.
What concerns excercises, try Nordic walking.

Lots of folks do that here. I do commute by bicycle regularly, but that's not excercise.
[doublepost=1560757999][/doublepost]I also want to reiterate what others have said. Intake, especially in our day when so much energy-dense food is available is elementary. You really have to be a first-class athlete (we have at least one body-builder here who comsumes a really large amount of food each day becasue he needs to) to not worry about calories and fat/carb consumption.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
Active calories = calories you had spent walking.

Total calories = Calories you had spent walking + base calories you would had spent doing nothing because you still spend calories by breathing, standing and having your bodily function working during that time.

Pace is basically how fast you completed your walk = distance/time = pace.

Basically, to lose weight, you need to be in a caloric deficit. The question is, why do you think that with a body fat of 16%, which is already in a pretty fit range, that you are not looking that slim. You should.

What makes your body look slim and toned is actually better muscle definition, because muscles are more dense than body fat. So even if you have more muscles and weigh more on the scale, the overall physical outlook is thinner. The issues that most people see when they are at the lower body fat % range is that they don't have muscle definition, so while they can look somewhat thin, the body fat stick out more so they don't have definition even if the scale says this person weigh less than a person with more muscle mass and well toned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn and decafjava

Moakesy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
UK
It feels like it’s going off topic somewhat and/or into too much detail.

Your question appears to be..”if I did an hour on the bike OR an hour walking, which would burn most calories?”

Probably walking, as you can’t freewheel downhill, so will be burning energy more of the time as you only move if you walk, but on a bike you can move with gravity. However, there are so many variables (pace, terrain, your base level fitness to start with etc).

Walk an hour on one day and record calories. Bike for the same amount of time the next day and compare how many calories you burnt. Try and pace yourself so you work a bit, but don’t run out of steam half way around. Whichever burnt the greater calories will indicate which is going to be the one to do.

BTW, the pace of 18’11” means you walked one mile in 18 mins, 11 seconds. Pace can help motivate you, as your pace quickens. It indicates either effort “I moved quicker, worked harder and used more calories” or fitness (efficiency) “I moved quicker whilst not feeling like I was working harder (burning the same amount of calories)”.

davidgordan

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2020
The simple equation, when it comes to weight loss, is ‘calories out must exceed calories in’. So you need to burn more calories than you consume to lose weight. Cycling burns calories: between 400 and 1000 an hour, depending on intensity and rider weight.

Of course, there are other factors: the make-up of the calories you consume affects the frequency of your refuelling, as does the quality of your sleep and of course the amount of time you spend burning calories will be influenced by how much you enjoy your chosen activity.

Assuming you enjoy cycling, you’ll be burning calories. And if you eat well, you should lose weight.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Losing weight?

It’s not that difficult of concept given how many variations of ‘dieting’ is available, for me, it’s no processed foods/no dairy/no sugar and lots of water.

Plus, I add in about two hours of cardio[Walking]/6 days a week, I dropped ~26 pounds in approximately six weeks from a bodybuilding bulk, I’m leaner than ever, but I _never_ deviated from the plan.

Additionally, I think sometimes weight loss isn’t just about the commitment/mental factor, but it’s also genetics/age that plays a role in terms of how easily you can lose the weight, for some it’s difficult, for others it’s easy.

Cycling isn't For me, I prefer weightlifting/basic extended-cardio.

Reactions: compwiz1202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.