Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sandinmyjoints

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2022
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/text-imessage-notifications-on-multiple-devices-issue.2306607/ describes a behavior I have noticed but never understood. Due to it, I have missed some important messages, b/c Apple thought that my macBook was my active device when it wasn't anymore, or I had notifications muted on it, assuming my phone would beep/vibrate. Is there any way to be notified on all my devices? My ideal would be that I would always, always receive a notification on my phone, and also receive it on my laptop if I'm using it.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Yes. In messages settings on each device make sure each device has the same Send & Receive contact info. A Mac can have your iPhone telephone number as one of your contacts too.

But remember that if all your devices get the same message, you’ll have to delete them separately on each device. Deleting on one device doesn’t delete it from the other ones.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

sandinmyjoints

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2022
Thanks for the reply. Sadly, that doesn't solve the problem. If I'm signed in to Messages on my computer, and either using my computer or have recently used my computer, then a message sent to my phone number does not cause my phone to make a sound or show a banner. It's there if I wake my phone and look at messages (though sometimes even then it takes a few seconds to show up). Per the thread I linked above, I believe this is Apple being "helpful" by preventing notifications on multiple devices, in favor of only notifying on the one it thinks I'm actively using. I was hoping there was a way to say "always notify on my phone, even if you think I'm using another device."

So far, I've found the only reliable way to ensure my phone always notify is I completely sign out of Messages on my computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.