Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Avramiko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2019
Hey guys!
I have my iPad 2 for over 7 years (which is great) and I think it's time to buy a new one. A new IPad that will serve me for the next years.
The IPad air looks absolutely the best ideal for me BUT I found more and more people say about the white spot on it...
I had a full trust on Apple's products, but then this came.
I saw videos of Ifixit and it's hardware really looks like the ipad pro 2017 which was with the same problem

What should In do?

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Hey guys!
I have my iPad 2 for over 7 years (which is great) and I think it's time to buy a new one. A new IPad that will serve me for the next years.
The IPad air looks absolutely the best ideal for me BUT I found more and more people say about the white spot on it...
I saw videos of Ifixit and it's hardware really looks like the ipad pro 2017 which was with the same problem

What should In do?

I own the iPad Air 3, I’m using it to write this reply. This iPad, updated to iPadOS on release day, has served me perfectly since I bought it a couple months ago. I’ve never heard of any “white spot” and I see nothing wrong with the display on this device. The only “bright spot” videos I’m seeing on YouTube are for the iPad Pro models. The iPad comes with a warranty that you can use in the event of a manufacturing defect.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Hey guys!

What should In do?

Get the iPad 10.2 instead.

Reactions: EugW

GBNova

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2009
I bought two in the last two weeks and both had bright/shadowy areas on the screen easily seen while scrolling. It's based closely off the 10.5" Pro, so I'm not surprised.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Happy user of iPad Air 3. I also upgraded from iPad 2. Good price. Fast, bigger and less eyes strained than the old and bulky iPad 2. IMO, one thing to be aware of is the case. Most of them are bulky and add significant weight to the iPad itself - especially with additional pocket for Apple Pencil.

Reactions: 0989382 and max2

roman.stapunov

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2018
Belarus
I have just bought iPad Air 3 and have upgraded to iPadOS. It works perfectly fine. I am writing the reply from it.
I moved from mini 4 that started to freeze. I don’t have issues with display, it is beautiful and my eyes are happy. IMO if you don’t need to render complex videos iPad Air is the best choice this time.

Reactions: 0989382 and max2

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
The wide spot is real! I had it on the 10.5 A10x pro 2017 model. First it was just one. Than it became 4 which was annoying. Thank god I paid for Apple care. So Apple shipped new new one 18 months after I got it (apple care equals 2 year warranty)

So when I got my son the air 3 64gb WiFi in July 2019 for $389 military discount. Since I was concern for the white dot on the air 3 since it has the 10.5 inch. I got Apple care. The good thing about Apple care is the air 3 is only $69. Which is cheap to insure.

but i also read they changed the air 3 10.5 connectors so the white spot hasn’t been wide spread. Anyways I got Apple care for $69 just in case and also my son is 9 and iPads can be dropped by kids though he’s better at it than my 7 year old daughter

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Hey guys!

What should In do?

I also own an iPad Air 3 and love it. My friend has had his since the week it released and we were talking about those white spot issues, and I thoroughly inspected his screen. He uses his Air 3 daily for work so it gets quite a bit of use. Screen was perfect. I had read that the connectors that is causing the white spots on the 10.5 iPad Pros has been changed or omitted for the iPad Air 3. You should be good to go!

Reactions: 0989382

Macintoshrumors

Suspended
Oct 18, 2016
My 10.5 has the spot, the majority of that model does. Tbh i hardly ever notice it and forget its their until I read a post on here about it. It’s above the home button and is only noticeable while in safari against a white background and i have to be looking in that general area, its subtle but not a distraction (for me at least). Its not visible in darkmode. I use darkmode on reddit and its not visible there either nor in my apps that i frequent. Only against white backdrops mainly safari. Anyway, you always have the option of returning it for a new one, its a hardwear issues and you would think, by now apple fixed the issue with the air but I’m starting to think its the batch of lcd screens they use. Idk but its really a non issue for me.

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
The white spot issue is the 10.5 iPad Pro, not the Air 3
I thought so too. Also light bleed issue with the 12.9 inch iPad Pro (2017-2018). Maybe Apple is making these things too thin? Safest bet is the non laminated iPad (7th gen), although personally I would choose the Air 3 (I haven't heard about any widespread problem).

Herrpod

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2019
There is no widespread flashlighting issue with the air. Someone here probably got a unit with muir and created a panic over it.

Vanilla2108

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2015
I just picked up an iPad Air 3 yesterday and loaded it up with the latest iPadOS & my apps etc. The screen is gorgeous, performance is silky fast and the size is perfect. I have pored over the screen and cannot see any white spots etc. It's a great iPad. Period.

hotr32

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2009
PA
Go for it, the screen issue was a concern, but after looking at at one, I pulled the trigger, and I’m glad I did, not one issue.

achappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2017
My 10.5 has the spot, the majority of that model does. Tbh i hardly ever notice it and forget its their until I read a post on here about it. It’s above the home button and is only noticeable while in safari against a white background and i have to be looking in that general area, its subtle but not a distraction (for me at least). Its not visible in darkmode. I use darkmode on reddit and its not visible there either nor in my apps that i frequent. Only against white backdrops mainly safari. Anyway, you always have the option of returning it for a new one, its a hardwear issues and you would think, by now apple fixed the issue with the air but I’m starting to think its the batch of lcd screens they use. Idk but its really a non issue for me.

Same. I forget about the spot until I read a post and then I have go looking for it. I've tried twice to get Apple to replace it but it was out of warranty so they said no. My wife had hers replaced because it was still under warranty.
I'm used to it now and like you said I forget about it and hardly notice it.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Get the iPad 10.2 instead.
Yes, if the OP has lasted this long with the iPad 2, then the 10.2" iPad would be fine. It's a HUGE upgrade over the iPad 2.

As for the iPad Air 3 10.5", I bought the 10.5" Pro over the iPad Air 3 10.5", when Apple launched the Air 3 10.5". The Pro 10.5" is much nicer than the Air 3 10.5".

I do have an extra year of credit card warranty though, and the white spot issue is beginning to show itself occasionally with the Air 3 now too.

Reactions: ChrisChaval
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.