Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mackindergarten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Hi all,

I have some disposable time right now and would like to improve my photographic skills. Please take a look at my flickr gallery and tell me what you think. Any comment and critique is welcome.

Thanks in advance.
/Rupert

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
Some great pics there - I love the people ones, especially In Between and Assassin.

You have a great eye for composition, I wish my pics were half as good :mad:

tennez

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2007
You have some nice pics.. but is all about practice so that you can get better
!!

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Hi all,

I have some disposable time right now and would like to improve my photographic skills. Please take a look at my flickr gallery and tell me what you think. Any comment and critique is welcome.

Thanks in advance.
/Rupert

Assassin: I'm not a big fan of low catchlights, but it's not bad here, I'd crop out a lot of the negative space though. A tighter crop would make it more personal and raise the impact significantly IMO.

Ticket: Needs more room in the front and maybe the back. People/animals need room to "see" into, vehicles need room to "move" into, even if they're stationary.

Incoming: Doesn't do much for me. I can see what you saw, but the angle looks a bit steep for a "rolling towards me" look.

Evve: The hair's too distracting, as is whatever the light spot behind her head is. It would probably look better as a vertical with her looking a bit more towards the camera.

Childhood: A bit dark for the title, composition is good but I'd probably brighten it a couple of stops to match the title.

Train station: Too centered and too tilted up. I'd either perspective correct or shoot from higher up.

Pipe life: No good leading lines, too much clutter.

Leading path: Too underexposed for me.

3 towers: I'd change the angle to lose the top of the forth one poking up, and probably try to shoot it as a pano- perhaps out of two exposures side by side. Also a little dark, and the darkness doesn't help here IMO.

Free of charge: I'd crop out most of the empty right side.

Amsterdam: The poles and whatever's on the back of the bike don't help this shot. The eye is naturally drawn to contrasty areas, and the brightest areas in the picture. Darken the poles and jacket or whatever it is on the back of the bike and look at how the focus changes. The poles also lead the eye up and out of the frame, losing the viewer. A slightly lower angle in a bit closer to lose the poles would have helped a lot IMO.

Overall, you've got a very good eye. Some brighter shots would be good for many of your subjects where dark shadow just doesn't work well with the subject matter, for a lot of the others it works fine- make sure your monitor's gamma is calibrated. Isolating your subject by getting closer or cropping after would lend more impact to a few of your shots. A few shots need the horizons leveled. Be more careful about shooting up, as the perspective differences hurt some of the shots- if you can shoot from higher or perhaps move closer and shoot with a wider lens, it'd help.

Thanks for sharing!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

You got some good work there. If you want to try something and have time. Try expanding the range of styles you can shoot. Try some genres you have not done. One way to do it is to go to the library and check out some of those oversize "coffee table" books of photos from a few famous photographers. Find some you like then set out to make more like those. I think it is always OK for a student to copy the work of a master. Artists have learned using that method for centuries. If I wanted a really hard assignment I'd pick up some books my Edward Westin and his sons. Or maybe something completely different like Man Ray.

mackindergarten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Hello again,

thank you so much for all your replies. Got a bunch of good ideas which I already started to work on.

/Rupert

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.