Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidmartindale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
PNW, USA
Hey guys,

I want to move to New York at some point in the next year or so. I would like to hear from members living in the New York area regarding employment opportunities and the best places to look for housing.

As far as employment goes, I don't have any degrees but I am very well versed in computers. I have a bit over a year working as a technical service rep for a large computer company that may or may not be the focus of this website. Along with the technical skill set I have over 3 years of managerial experience and close to 6 years of experience as a general contractor. I just want to know if there are a decent supply of jobs available to someone with those credentials.

When it comes to housing, I do not need anything fancy, just something relatively affordable and not in a really bad area. Preferred areas are Brooklyn, Queens, and Manhattan though I don't really expect to be able to afford Manhattan.

Thanks for any input guys!

davidmartindale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
PNW, USA
If you're looking to live alone, expect to pay nearly $2k/mo for an apt. Some of the apts in the Bronx are cheaper, though.

Yeah... I have been looking around on Craigslist and an app I cannot recall the name of at the moment. Alone is preferred, but, I don't have any issues with having roommates as long as they're within a 5 years or so of my age (24) and have at least some common interests as I.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Yeah... I have been looking around on Craigslist and an app I cannot recall the name of at the moment. Alone is preferred, but, I don't have any issues with having roommates as long as they're within a 5 years or so of my age (24) and have at least some common interests as I.
I can't give you much more specific advice, unfortunately. I live on the other coast in a similarly outrageously priced area. But I'm connected to area (Queens) via marriage, so I know a few things here or there.

I've never availed myself of random room mates. I've only ever lived with people I knew I would certainly get along with, otherwise alone. You will pay dearly for living alone these days, but c'est la vie.

I don't know anything about your potential job prospects, but I would definitely look hard at your expected pay in the area. If you're pay prospects are relatively low given the cost of living, but you're looking for a relatively short term thing just for the sake of having the experience of living in NYC, then it may be worth the experience. Good luck!

davidmartindale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
PNW, USA
I can't give you much more specific advice, unfortunately. I live on the other coast in a similarly outrageously priced area. But I'm connected to area (Queens) via marriage, so I know a few things here or there.

I've never availed myself of random room mates. I've only ever lived with people I knew I would certainly get along with, otherwise alone. You will pay dearly for living alone these days, but c'est la vie.

I don't know anything about your potential job prospects, but I would definitely look hard at your expected pay in the area. If you're pay prospects are relatively low given the cost of living, but you're looking for a relatively short term thing just for the sake of having the experience of living in NYC, then it may be worth the experience. Good luck!

Thanks for the input and the good wishes! Definitely looking more for the experience than anything, though if things go well it would be more long term.

Reactions: mobilehaathi

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I lived and worked in Manhattan for 15 years but left six years ago, so experience is not up to date. Hoboken and Jersey city are two other areas to consider. Brooklyn is nice with lots of good restaurants but you can get very different experiences depending on the part of Brooklyn. Parts of the Bronx are really nice, lots of Gentrification going on there. A lot of hiring is done from agencies or head hunters so find out about the ones in your particular field and see if you can get your CV with them. Lots of Financial companies have large tech staffs starting from help desk jobs up to management level.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
You could also look at communities along the commuter rail lines for more affordable housing.

Is there something special about NYC that makes it your focus? I opened the thread because the title didn't specify NYC, and I only assume you mean NYC because you say "New York area". Have you considered other parts of NY that are easy to make a day trip to NYC from? I say this because, as someone without a degree it will be VERY difficult to live within your means in NYC. I'm in the Albany area, my apartment is the size of probably 2 studio apartments in NYC and cost less than 1/3 as much as one of those. Sure, wages may be adjusted, but it's still easier to live on the wage you make. Albany is also 3 hours from NYC (I can get to Queens by car in 3 hours, or 2-2.5 to a train station and another 45 on the Metro North train to GCT) so it's REAL easy to visit if you want. Oh, and Boston and Montreal are also around 3 hours from Albany.

Reactions: jbachandouris

davidmartindale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
PNW, USA
I lived and worked in Manhattan for 15 years but left six years ago, so experience is not up to date. Hoboken and Jersey city are two other areas to consider. Brooklyn is nice with lots of good restaurants but you can get very different experiences depending on the part of Brooklyn. Parts of the Bronx are really nice, lots of Gentrification going on there. A lot of hiring is done from agencies or head hunters so find out about the ones in your particular field and see if you can get your CV with them. Lots of Financial companies have large tech staffs starting from help desk jobs up to management level.

Thanks for the info regarding employment! Thats good to know, I would not have guessed that haha.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the reason you left the area after so long?

[doublepost=1496023550][/doublepost]
You could also look at communities along the commuter rail lines for more affordable housing.

Is there something special about NYC that makes it your focus? I opened the thread because the title didn't specify NYC, and I only assume you mean NYC because you say "New York area". Have you considered other parts of NY that are easy to make a day trip to NYC from? I say this because, as someone without a degree it will be VERY difficult to live within your means in NYC. I'm in the Albany area, my apartment is the size of probably 2 studio apartments in NYC and cost less than 1/3 as much as one of those. Sure, wages may be adjusted, but it's still easier to live on the wage you make. Albany is also 3 hours from NYC (I can get to Queens by car in 3 hours, or 2-2.5 to a train station and another 45 on the Metro North train to GCT) so it's REAL easy to visit if you want. Oh, and Boston and Montreal are also around 3 hours from Albany.

No particular reason other than "because I wanna" for choosing NYC over other areas near NYC. My apologies, I could've specified that I suppose.

Some consideration has definitely been made to live in an area around NY rather than in the city itself. That is good to know that Albany is that close to three major cities. Heck, 3 hours is almost kind of sort of in commuting range. I didn't realize Albany was that much more affordable than in the NYC boroughs. I am definitely not completely opposed to living and working outside of the city if I can get there quickly enough to spend a night out over the weekend and whatnot.

I have definitely been concerned with finding a job w/o a degree. Though I think I could get a job at one of the Apple Retail Stores as a Genius which makes about $20/hr which I think would work as long as I was full time and had a roommate or really really "cheap" apartment. Though I'm not sure if I could even get a job their as I am guessing there is a lot of competition when it comes to the job market their.

Do you know what the best sources are for finding housing? Are Craigslist and Zillow good options or are there much better ways to find housing?

Last edited:

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Thanks for the info regarding employment! Thats good to know, I would not have guessed that haha.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the reason you left the area after so long?

No particular reason other than "because I wanna" for choosing NYC over other areas near NYC. My apologies, I could've specified that I suppose.

Some consideration has definitely been made to live in an area around NY rather than in the city itself. That is good to know that Albany is that close to three major cities. Heck, 3 hours is almost kind of sort of in commuting range. I didn't realize Albany was that much more affordable than in the NYC boroughs. I am definitely not completely opposed to living and working outside of the city if I can get there quickly enough to spend a night out over the weekend and whatnot.

I have definitely been concerned with finding a job w/o a degree. Though I think I could get a job at one of the Apple Retail Stores as a Genius which makes about $20/hr which I think would work as long as I was full time and had a roommate or really really "cheap" apartment. Though I'm not sure if I could even get a job their as I am guessing there is a lot of competition when it comes to the job market their.

Do you know what the best sources are for finding housing? Are Craigslist and Zillow good options or are there much better ways to find housing?

Albany is a dump, I don't think you'd want to live there. Living in NYC is highly expensive, not just for rent but everything just costs more. If you decide to live outside the city, be advised commuting can be very costly and tiring. Roomated will bring your rent down for sure. Keep in mind NYC is a very big place, so it might be better to find your job first and apartment second.

I would be concerned if you're making $20/hr minus taxes you might be stretching your budget very thin. Besides moving to NYC what are your goals in life? Do you have plans to save money and return to school? If you're looking to save money I would not reccomend NYC.

I grew up right outside NY in Connecticut. I can tell you NYC is fun to visit, but can be a miserable place to live- I'd never want to live there. IMO Boston is a much more livable city and far cleaner.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Hey guys,

I want to move to New York at some point in the next year or so. I would like to hear from members living in the New York area regarding employment opportunities and the best places to look for housing.

As far as employment goes, I don't have any degrees but I am very well versed in computers. I have a bit over a year working as a technical service rep for a large computer company that may or may not be the focus of this website. Along with the technical skill set I have over 3 years of managerial experience and close to 6 years of experience as a general contractor. I just want to know if there are a decent supply of jobs available to someone with those credentials.

When it comes to housing, I do not need anything fancy, just something relatively affordable and not in a really bad area. Preferred areas are Brooklyn, Queens, and Manhattan though I don't really expect to be able to afford Manhattan.

Thanks for any input guys!

I would change the title to New York City.

Reactions: mobilehaathi

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I also left NY a long time ago. My kids are still there, daughter in Manhattan, and son in Brooklyn. My daughter is in a studio. She pays more for her monthly rent than I make (and I'm getting ready to retire). My son is in a lovely one bedroom apartment that costs much less. He makes a lot more than she does and works in Manhattan. She is currently commuting to Jersey City.

I would take a week and go out there to look at the job market. You can't find a place to live based on a theoretical salary. As others have said, the NY metropolitan area spreads. You can live/work anywhere from Manhattan to Boston, Connecticut, NJ. Stay away from places like Rockland, Orange, and Westchester counties. Unless they've changed since I lived there, you can only afford to live there if you already live there.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010

?
My move to New York city was from London. I was transferred by my company for five year which ended up being much longer. It was always my intention to return to London and ended up doing so when I took early retirement. As much as I loved New York and don't let anyone convince you otherwise it is a great place to live and work provided you have a reasonable job.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY

I am also from the Albany area, East Greenbush to be precise, and I agree with all that has been said so far. If you don't have a degree, it's going to be VERY difficult. Most employers in my area want a degree AND experience, so I can't imagine the city will be that much different. I would advise you to earn a Bachelor's degree from an accredited school before even thinking about moving there.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America

I would strongly suggest reconsidering your move to NYC if you're looking at a barely survivable wage. What's the point of moving there if you won't be able to afford to enjoy it, or because you're hour and a half/2 hour commute each way doesn't give you time to do anything?

At that income level you are not saving for retirement or for an emergency fund. God forbid you have a medical problem. I get that the city has allure, really, I do. But if you're looking at minimum wage jobs (and yes, $20/hour is a de-facto minimum wage job for NYC), you should really consider attending college or something like that instead, and then hoping you can land a high paying job in NYC after you graduate.

Personally, I wouldn't move to NYC for anything less than $200,000-$250,000/year (~$100/$130/hour).

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016
Hey...you could always sleep in an all night movie theater....eat at Taco Bell...or find a woman who is desperate for a husband and you can move in with her.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.