Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
The newest version of Arq Backup (7.24.1) removes backup thinning. The release notes say:
  • Removed the "thinning" function from backup plans. Too many people found backup records were permanently deleted that they weren't expecting to be deleted, and that's a really bad user experience, so we felt it was best to remove the function. As an alternative to limit the amount of storage used by your backup plan, edit the plan, click the Retention tab, check 'Limit storage used' and enter a value.
and the documentation now refers to a storage limit as the one way to control backups kept.

I don't think thinning is a feature that is mysterious to macOS users. We are all familiar with thinning of Time Machine backups.

This is a major change introduced without notice in a minor update. I am so glad I have disabled auto-update.

So don't update to 7.24.1 if you value thinning. I have contacted Arq Support and started looking at alternatives.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Good catch. I don’t think I would have noticed had you not mentioned it. That said, I don’t care. I have Time Machine already. I just want Arq to be representative of my current files in case of an “oh ****” moment occurs. For me, it‘s like fourth or fifth tier backup, after Time Machine and local CCC backup.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
The newest version of Arq Backup (7.24.1) removes backup thinning. The release notes say:
  • Removed the "thinning" function from backup plans. Too many people found backup records were permanently deleted that they weren't expecting to be deleted, and that's a really bad user experience, so we felt it was best to remove the function. As an alternative to limit the amount of storage used by your backup plan, edit the plan, click the Retention tab, check 'Limit storage used' and enter a value.
and the documentation now refers to a storage limit as the one way to control backups kept.

I don't think thinning is a feature that is mysterious to macOS users. We are all familiar with thinning of Time Machine backups.

This is a major change introduced without notice in a minor update. I am so glad I have disabled auto-update.

So don't update to 7.24.1 if you value thinning. I have contacted Arq Support and started looking at alternatives.
Arq 7.24.2 reinstates thinning.

Presumably because so many users (including me) complained!

Reactions: adib

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I got thinning back, but my backups are now generating hundreds of errors.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I got thinning back, but my backups are now generating hundreds of errors.
Are you on Sonoma? I got a bunch of errors that looked related to the new widgets. I did a reboot and another Arq backup and have not had the errors since.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Thanks!! I was not aware of that option. It was set to report error. I'll change it, materialize is what I want anyway.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
That made a huge difference. I went from more than 100 errors to just one:

Error: /Users/*****/Library/Application Support/com.apple.LaunchServicesTemplateApp.dv: Failed to read file status: Operation not permitted

I might have to accept this until the new version of Onyx is released for Sonoma. Then I'll try rebuilding the Launch Services database.

Edit: I ended up excluding this folder and now my backups complete normally.

Last edited:
Reactions: dangson

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I'll change it, materialize is what I want anyway.
Had same errors, but had not identifed this setting.
It is sad that Stefan does not use his blog page (or better still a newsletter) to highlight new features like this.

The only way to catch these changes is to disable automatic updates, check once a week or so and, if an update, read the release notes first. The 'materialise' was added in version 7.21 last April with this in the release notes:
  • Added a backup plan option so you can specify whether to report, ignore, or materialize dataless ("cloud-only") files such as Dropbox and Google Drive files.
I had an email discussion with Stefan back in February about the errors with Dropbox, etc. and he was quick to provide a test/beta version with the materialise change which then got into a release version in April.

Reactions: gregmac19

mattjgalloway

macrumors member
May 21, 2006
Has anyone else noticed that while the option is back, it doesn't actually work? I see my backup plans saying they are thinning, but then no records actually get thinned.

palter

Contributor
Feb 17, 2006
Boston, MA
That made a huge difference. I went from more than 100 errors to just one:

Error: /Users/*****/Library/Application Support/com.apple.LaunchServicesTemplateApp.dv: Failed to read file status: Operation not permitted

I might have to accept this until the new version of Onyx is released for Sonoma. Then I'll try rebuilding the Launch Services database.

Edit: I ended up excluding this folder and now my backups complete normally.

That folder is created when you use the "Add to Dock" feature in Safari to create an app from a web page. It's protected by rootless/SIP which means nothing can access it except the System itself. (You can't even access it using "sudo".)

Excluding it is the right thing to do. I've reported it to the Arq authors, suggesting they add it to the default set of exclusions.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Can you confirm that you do have: Dataset Options > "When a dataless ("cloud-only") file is encountered" set as "materialize"
What does "materialize" mean? I am not finding it described anywhere.

Context: I have a large amount of data stored in several cloud services that I don't want cluttering my disk.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
What does "materialize" mean? I am not finding it described anywhere.
Materialise means to download the file from the cloud so that Arq can back it up. Otherwise, if the file is only in the cloud, Arq will find an error or ignore the file.

jennyp

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Select a backup set. Then Edit. Then Options tab. 7th item with a drop down and choice of three.
"When a dataless ("cloud-only") file is encountered".
Oh that. Yes thanks. I notice if I select "materialize" Arq warns me of possible "excessive data transfer and disk usage", but really I don't think I have many "cloud-only" files. I never had any errors with the "report an error" setting anyway.

jennyp

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Has anyone else noticed that while the option is back, it doesn't actually work? I see my backup plans saying they are thinning, but then no records actually get thinned.
My "retention" is set to "keep daily backups for 30 days" but I have backups much older than that. Is that what you mean?

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Materialise means to download the file from the cloud so that Arq can back it up. Otherwise, if the file is only in the cloud, Arq will find an error or ignore the file.
Thank you. Does the downloaded file remain on your disk? ...Might seem a dumb question, but if that happens to all my cloud-stored files, I'll run out of disk quickly.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)

My "retention" is set to "keep daily backups for 30 days" but I have backups much older than that. Is that what you mean?
Now I notice this too. Is "thinning" working?

I have retention set to "keep daily backups for 8 days" but I have 17 "backup records" (each on a different day) shown in the Arq app. Goes back to Aug 22. (For "hourly", "weekly", and "monthly" retention I have zeros.)

Shouldn't the oldest one(s) be deleted?

diskrete

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
Wow. I had all of these issues yesterday -- cloud file contents not present, and error backing up com.apple.LaunchServicesTemplateApp.dv.

Thanks for pointing out the "materialize" option, I will give it a try. Fortunately I have enough disk space to hold those files. I assume, once materialized, they remain?

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Does the downloaded file remain on your disk? ...Might seem a dumb question, but if that happens to all my cloud-stored files, I'll run out of disk quickly.
Yes it does. So, in your case you might not want to enable "materialise".

The latest ChronoSync beta has the option to download cloud only files, and to evict them after copying. It is all becoming very complex as developers battle with backup of synchronised cloud storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.