Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

embotix

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2016
I absolutely love my new 16" M1 Max MBP. The screen is beyond gorgeous. But after a few days, I was noticing that it seemed to feel a bit warm. Never to the point of being "hot", nor did it ever make any noise, but it was measurably running warmer vs. my previous 13" M1 MBP.

I wrote it off to just probably a bunch of things indexing and running as part of a new build, and didn't think too much of it, thinking it would be temporary, until I noticed that "CCXProcess" was "Using Significant Energy", along with using 100% CPU utilization in Activity Monitor.

It seems that certain apps that affect your network settings, such as AdGuard, can have the adverse effect of locking certain background processes, like CCXProcess (which is from Adobe Creative Cloud), into running at 100%. Apparently, it's due to a bug on Apple's part (and not the fault of the developers of AdGuard nor Adobe).

Reference 1: AdGuard Forum Thread
Reference 2: Issue Thread on GitHub
Reference 3: Related Apple Developer Forum Thread

Resolution:
After completely uninstalling AdGuard, my new 16" M1 Max MBP is back to running cool to the touch (all the time!), and surprise surprise, battery is also draining much more slowly.

Workaround:
Instead of using the AdGuard client for Mac, I've temporarily switched to using AdGuard DNS servers to get general purpose ad blocking coverage across the OS (I also use the Chrome extension).

If I ever remember to check in on this in the future to see if this gets resolved, I'll post an update here. But in the meantime, hopefully this will help any other new M1 Pro/Max owners deal with this weird quirk.

Sir Desmond

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2022
I've been using Adguard for years and have found Safari behaving poorly with it, and horrible with Youtube. Orion, is pretty good. It's webkit based, and blocks ads and trackers by default: no additional blocker needed. Give it a shot, I'd like to know if it works for you.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I gave up on Adguard years ago, I just felt other products gave me a better experience ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: BigMcGuire

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2010
Guy with AdGuard having problems on my Mac with the warmer temps. What are some good AdGuard alternatives I should look into? I use Safari exclusively for my browser.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
I also was having issues with AdGuard. Did some digging and came across Wipr. I liked it because it uses Apple's official APIs for ad blockers so the battery impact should be minimal. Installed it yesterday and it seems to be working well so far.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Same here, AdGuard is GREAT at blocking ads but it has an impact on resources. I went to 1Blocker for my Mac only products and I'm happy with it - resource usage is night and day different. Interesting to see I'm not the only one. lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.