Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xahhax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
Hello

I have a 6.1 machine that I had upgraded with a 12C Xeon 2697v2 processor. The machine worked perfect for a month then failed.
I brought it for repair (it was still within 12 months of the original purchase date).
The Apple reseller is claiming that the processor upgrade voids the warranty on the entire machine.
I am surprised (shocked!) by this statement. I would be fine if indeed the Apple warranty does not cover the CPU but it should not affect the other elements of the machine. I doubt the CPU failed. I have never seen a CPU fail...
Does anybody have experience with this?
Many thanks!

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Hello

I have a 6.1 machine that I had upgraded with a 12C Xeon 2697v2 processor. The machine worked perfect for a month then failed.
I brought it for repair (it was still within 12 months of the original purchase date).
The Apple reseller is claiming that the processor upgrade voids the warranty on the entire machine.
I am surprised (shocked!) by this statement. I would be fine if indeed the Apple warranty does not cover the CPU but it should not affect the other elements of the machine. I doubt the CPU failed. I have never seen a CPU fail...
Does anybody have experience with this?
Many thanks!
The only user serviceable parts in the Mac Pro 2013 is the ssd and ram.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I think that's normal, because you may physically damage anything inside during your CPU upgrade, they of course won't cover it.

Apple never consider the CPU is user upgradable. Doesn't like the RAM, there is nothing in any user document to teach you how to do it.

In general, if you put the original CPU back in, they won't say anything. But if you clearly changed the hardware, they have the right to reject provide warranty to you.

Xahhax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
so if the video card is dead they won't cover the warranty because I have upgraded the CPU?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
so if the video card is dead they won't cover the warranty because I have upgraded the CPU?

IMO, yes, you changed the hardware, so the whole machine is out of warranty, including the GPU. Even though it's the design fault which cause the GPU overheat and pre mature failure, they can still refuse to provide you any replacement. Especially the thermal core is CPU GPU shared, you changed one of the component, it's now your responsibility if anything attached to the thermal core goes wrong (that basically means the whole nMP).

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I think it's not just Apple, but same for other electronics. If you buy a Dell notebook and upgrade the CPU by yourself, Dell also won't provide warranty to you. Because the CPU is not user upgradable parts.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
If I were you I would call Apple and ask them directly, I wouldn't take the word of a reseller. Explain the situation, as well as your point of view, and see what they have to say on the matter.

After all, you've got nothing to lose.

Xahhax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
- well except the DELL notebook is not a 'PRO' machine and no one has the expectation to be able to do that.
- the DELL notebook would have been upgraded since its launch vs Mac Pro in 2013 which still sells at original price.
[doublepost=1460363060][/doublepost]I'll involve Apple for sure. Nothing to loose. I am a big Customer not the average joe. I buy everything from them direct usually (e.g. i just also got a fully loaded 5K...) but the sticker price for the BTO 12core (mind you in 2016!!!) is absolutely ridiculous...at least they could either keep on upgrading the machine (Xeon V4 anyone!?) or lowering the price and we wouldn't be in this situation...

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
- well except the DELL notebook is not a 'PRO' machine and no one has the expectation to be able to do that.
- the DELL notebook would have been upgraded since its launch vs Mac Pro in 2013 which still sells at original price.

Totally agree with you in this area.

G4DPII

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
There is nothing to call Apple about. It states in the warranty, if you change anything they deem not to be upgradable by the user then you void the warranty.

They even used to state, that the machine should be in the same state which you received it when it went in for a service. So you had to remove any extra RAM or PCI card etc.

You claim to be a "big buyer", then you should sure as hell know Apple's policy on messing with hardware.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
it's normal with most pre-made hardware that if you open it up and replace parts the warranty is void, if you can put the old cpu in and try a different shop? to do the repair maybe worth a try.
i have a friend who used to OC cpu's and gpu's, sometimes he'd go to far and they fry. when you send them in for warranty replacement you dont tell them you OC'ed it you just dont mention it and say no if they ask or they wont replace it.

when you say 'I brought it for repair' was it broken when you got it new?
might be worth checking consumer law in your country.

do you know what is actually broken

Joe The Dragon

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2006
Magnuson Moss Warranty Act says are not forced to use apple for any work / upgrades.

You can do your own oil changes with out voiding the warranty.

G4DPII

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Magnuson Moss Warranty Act says are not forced to use apple for any work / upgrades.

You can do your own oil changes with out voiding the warranty.

Fine, just don't expect Apple to do anything when something goes wrong. Take responsibilty for it yourself.

Reactions: PhiLLoW

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
in the uk you have 5 or 6 years cover by law under consumer laws.
http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/
like free apple care almost

when you gave your macpro to them did they say what was broken? it might not be a big thing

i think in the uk if you can prove what you did did not brake it then you may be ok

when you say apple shop was it an official one or 3rd party, you can try to drop by an official one to & it is always worth talking to apple on the phone.

be calm clear say it was not your fault and you want it fixed under warranty

dont get angry or anything, some times it's worth phoning back the next day if they say no you may have been talking to some one who had a bad day and saying no to everyone that day

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
If you have a GPU problem I doubt the technician will be wasting time checking that your CPU type is one that matches the one sold on record.

Personally, I kept the original CPU around just in case, but mostly because it was worthless on Ebay. Had it been worth my time to sell it, I certainly would have.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I think it's not just Apple, but same for other electronics. If you buy a Dell notebook and upgrade the CPU by yourself, Dell also won't provide warranty to you. Because the CPU is not user upgradable parts.
I've had Dell replace the motherboard on a system upgraded from a 32-bit Dothan to a 64-bit Merom CPU. (It had the Nvidia GPU with the solder issues - the GPU failed.)

Look at page 10 of http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_latitude_laptop/latitude-d620_service manual_en-us.pdf for the instructions for the user to remove and replace the processor.

Last edited:
Reactions: h9826790

Xahhax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
There is nothing to call Apple about. It states in the warranty, if you change anything they deem not to be upgradable by the user then you void the warranty.

They even used to state, that the machine should be in the same state which you received it when it went in for a service. So you had to remove any extra RAM or PCI card etc.

You claim to be a "big buyer", then you should sure as hell know Apple's policy on messing with hardware.

Well you can't be more wrong. The reseller here (Switzerland) actually called Apple HQ in California. You CAN change the processor and it will not void the warranty - It only needs to be done by an Apple Certified Partner. Which I did. Thanks.

Reactions: BillyBobBongo

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Well you can't be more wrong. The reseller here (Switzerland) actually called Apple HQ in California. You CAN change the processor and it will not void the warranty - It only needs to be done by an Apple Certified Partner. Which I did. Thanks.

So, you didn't change the CPU by yourself, but actually by Apple Certified Partner. The difference is huge.

All of our comment are based on your post

I had upgraded with a 12C Xeon 2697v2 processor.

It seems we all confused by this sentence , which we believe that you did the upgrade on your own, but not via Apple (indirectly).

Xahhax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
Sorry I am not a native speaker, by saying I had upgraded, I meant I had somebody do the upgrade for me. Sorry for the confusion.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Sorry I am not a native speaker, by saying I had upgraded, I meant I had somebody do the upgrade for me. Sorry for the confusion.

No worries, I am not native speaker either, and now I can understand why you were so angry.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.