Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nerdbert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Hi, according to https://checkcoverage.apple.com/ my 2018 MBP is out of warranty after 18 July. However, on this day last year it was shipped from China and it took until the 27th before it arrived in Germany.

It's very hard to get an appointment at our local Apple store and I'd like them to handle a very annoying sleep issue (instead of a third party). I've got an appointment for the 15th and would like to postpone to the 19th, which according to Apple's logic would be 1 day out of warranty. I was planning a vacation and not postponing would shorten it by three days, otherwise I wouldn't even consider it...

Does anyone here know how strict Apple is in such cases? IMO warranty should start the moment the shipment arrives, but according to Apple's TOS it seems to be the date of the invoice.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Hi, according to https://checkcoverage.apple.com/ my 2018 MBP is out of warranty after 18 July. However, on this day last year it was shipped from China and it took until the 27th before it arrived in Germany.

It's very hard to get an appointment at our local Apple store and I'd like them to handle a very annoying sleep issue (instead of a third party). I've got an appointment for the 15th and would like to postpone to the 19th, which according to Apple's logic would be 1 day out of warranty. I was planning a vacation and not postponing would shorten it by three days, otherwise I wouldn't even consider it...

Does anyone here know how strict Apple is in such cases? IMO warranty should start the moment the shipment arrives, but according to Apple's TOS it seems to be the date of the invoice.
To be completely honest, if you tell your excuse to them, they would understand you and service you as you were in warranty. I don't guarantee it will work, but if you happen to find a nice employee, I think you'll have luck.

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
I don't like this either. It's pretty stupid. It should start the day it's activated. What if you buy a gift for someone and give it to them a month later? Why should you lose a month of warranty?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I don't like this either. It's pretty stupid. It should start the day it's activated. What if you buy a gift for someone and give it to them a month later? Why should you lose a month of warranty?

Warranty start date is one way Apple enforces their list of authorized resellers. Also, the chemical clock in the li-ion battery starts ticking the moment it leaves the factory. Someone who waits a year to activate their MacBook shouldn't get the same warranty as a new buyer.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Warranty start date is one way Apple enforces their list of authorized resellers. Also, the chemical clock in the li-ion battery starts ticking the moment it leaves the factory. Someone who waits a year to activate their MacBook shouldn't get the same warranty as a new buyer.
A lot of the batteries are manufactured months in advance before being placed into the computer as well.

Reactions: vistokid

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
A lot of the batteries are manufactured months in advance before being placed into the computer as well.

Potentially, although teardowns indicate Apple batteries are only 1-2 months old. But at least it's a factor that Apple can control.

nerdbert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure what to do. My issue is not so straightforward, so maybe it's smart to maximise my claim to get it fixed. To shorten a family vacation by three days for a computer on the other hand feels rather dumb...

Over here vendors have to cover for defects for two years so even if more than a year has passed I would still have a chance to get this fixed. I already was in a store in April and back then I was unable to reproduce the problem. Since then I'm at the point that my computer crashed every time it goes to sleep. This is super annoying.

BTW: I wish this was "just" a battery issue ;)

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
If you start support case online or on the phone with Apple, then postpone the store appointment, it should still be within warranty. I would call the Apple Store to confirm as it really varies. You could also try an early walk in to see if there are spots to see a Genius.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.