Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baletin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
I still have working mid2012 MBP with 8GB Ram. It has no any particular problem at the moment when I use it as is. But when I connect second display (no matter via thunderbolt or HDMI) the CPU overload does not allow to use any browser etc in addition to 2nd display. When I disconnect 2nd display - within 30secs everything comes back to normal.
Let's say I would like to replace the MBP with iMac - could you please share your experience considering 2nd (or 2nd and 3rd) display use - is iMac powerful enough to run 2 or 3 displays and which configs you recommend.
(i am not going to replace immediately, but... at some point my dinosaur will die no?)

ezugaru

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2020
I also have a mid 2012 MBP, and have no issue with 2nd Display. Did You check resolution?

Baletin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
What do you mean? I am not sure I changed anything... the 2nd display has pretty low resolution though. Which resolution should I set?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
What do you mean? I am not sure I changed anything... the 2nd display has pretty low resolution though. Which resolution should I set?
Can you describe what you mean by "CPU overload?" A 2012 MacBook Pro should be able to run a display without a problem.

Baletin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
The "windowserver" process eats up memory and CPU (more than 40%) and if I disconnect the 2nd monitor it almost immediately decreases to much lower parameters...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.