Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
Hello everyone! Thanks in advance for any advice.

So, I have an Apple Watch Series 4, when I put it into sleep mode in the past (either triggers on iPhone or watch), the screen would not turn on when detecting a wrist raise. I would have to touch the screen or turn the Digital Crown to slowly wake the display. This is a great function for use during sleep as there is no unwanted bright screen waking you up.

Now, after getting new iPhone 13 Pro Max yesterday, the sleep focus mode (as is now called in iOS 15) no longer stops the screen from waking on wrist raise. Everything worked fine on my previous iPhone 11 Pro and Series 4 watch (running iOS 15 and watchOS 8 respectively), but for some reason after pairing to the new phone, sleep mode no longer stops the screen from waking. Also, I did update the phone to the newest iOS 15 build after taking it out of the box.

Is there an obscure setting somewhere to disable "Wake on Wrist Raise" when in sleep focus mode?

Thanks again!

Reactions: Confuzzeled23

chuppa

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2011
Have the same issue - no idea what's causing it. Have checked all my settings multiple times and compared to my iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Reactions: Confuzzeled23

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
Have the same issue - no idea what's causing it. Have checked all my settings multiple times and compared to my iPhone 12 Pro Max.
Ok, so not just me… hopefully Apple will patch this at some point.
Before getting my 13PM, Apple Watch and iPhone 11 Pro were both fully updated (iOS 15/ watchOS 8) and it was working find.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I haven't had this problem with my 13 mini with my Series 6. I did have the problem with my 12 mini once and found out that one of the apps on the watch was using location services and keeping my watch display on.

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
I haven't had this problem with my 13 mini with my Series 6. I did have the problem with my 12 mini once and found out that one of the apps on the watch was using location services and keeping my watch display on.
Oh, interesting… what was the culprit? Do you recall?
Are you able to see which app/apps are using location on the Watch?
Thanks for sharing!

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Oh, interesting… what was the culprit? Do you recall?
Are you able to see which app/apps are using location on the Watch?
Thanks for sharing!
I believe it was the app Phone Buddy. I happened to notice a location arrow on the top center of the watch, turned off the app and that solved the wake problem. You can look on your watch > Privacy > location services to see apps using or have used your location etc.

ANDJOE

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2010
I believe it has to do with the difference between “wind-down” time and “bedtime”. On iOS 15.0/ WatchOS 8 that dark screen will show up automatically at bedtime but not before. I would love to have an option for this screen to be available during wind-down.

chuppa

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2011
Found the cause - and a stupid hidden one at that. You need to set up "Sleep" in the Health App, even if you don't use it. Go through, set sleep and wake times, then a prompt will popup to turn on "Sleep Screen". Follow all the prompts and then the Watch will sleep screen activated again. Don't forget to go into Clock and turn off the sleep alarm if you don't want it.

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
Found the cause - and a stupid hidden one at that. You need to set up "Sleep" in the Health App, even if you don't use it. Go through, set sleep and wake times, then a prompt will popup to turn on "Sleep Screen". Follow all the prompts and then the Watch will sleep screen activated again. Don't forget to go into Clock and turn off the sleep alarm if you don't want it.
Oh, that's interesting! I will do that right now. Thanks much for the info!

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
Fantastic! I set up a sleep schedule, then disabled it immediately. This completely solved the problem. Watch now stays dark while in sleep mode until touched or Digital Crown turned.
Thanks again for the tip! What an awesome forum and community!

Reactions: ANDJOE

Roadster Lewis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2021
Coventry, UK
Thank you!!!

I recently had to reset my iPhone to troubleshoot an issue and have been having all sorts of strange issues since, this being one of them. Now sorted thanks to this thread!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.