Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blackvibes

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2014
I'm thinking of buying an Apple TV 4. Either a reason not to- or an argument to actually buy the ATV4 would be Siri. But I was really wondering if Siri is capable of letting you view a random episode of a specific show by command? I've got a few seasons of The Big Bang Theory on my local NAS and with Spotlight search on Synology drives, the Apple TV and/or Siri is able to view all media content.

So I was wondering: can Siri process the following command:
"Show random episode from the Big Bang Theory show"?

I already would accept "Show any episode from Family Guy on Netflix" ("command, what, what, source"), but not having to speak out the source of the media ("netflix, HBO, Network storage, etc.") would really be a great outcome.

This is primarily because I often got no clue what to watch or either got no preference for what episode/season. Let's be honest, every BigBangTheory show is great, no matter in what order.

Who can enlighten me?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
true that... I just wish Hulu would offered it..

I guess If u were to ask in order to watch something, how would siri know where to look if siri didn't know the channel ?

I'm thinking "Watch Big Bang Theory" would list it on multiple channels, so u would still need to manually pick it anyway..

In my view, that's not any quicker.

Or perhaps, go into a channel u know which has the episodes, "then" use siri... i guess could work in future..

eg Go into Netflix and tell siri "Watch Big Bang Theory", and would list all shows in Netflix, so u wouldn't need to say the word "Netflix" as siri would know u'r already in that channel.

Blackvibes

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2014
true that... I just wish Hulu would offered it..

I guess If u were to ask in order to watch something, how would siri know where to look if siri didn't know the channel ?

I'm thinking "Watch Big Bang Theory" would list it on multiple channels, so u would still need to manually pick it anyway..

In my view, that's not any quicker.

Or perhaps, go into a channel, "then" use siri... i guess could work in future..

Well, primarily I'm just wondering if the 'random' command would work. Like I said, I wouldn't mind specifying the source. Such as "Watch a random episode of the big bang theory on Netflix".

tjwilliams25

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2014
Montana
I haven't tried a random episode command before, so I can't help there. Sorry.

However, if you're looking to play the episodes that you have on your NAS, then you'll have to do it manually. Siri's Spotlight Search function only works with enabled streaming networks and iTunes Store content, so if what you want to watch is on there then it will work. I have faith that they'll add Siri functionality to iTunes home libraries, but for the time being it's a no-go.

Creek0512

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
You can tell Siri to search for a specific episode number, such as saying "Big Bang Theory season 5 episode 13", so you could just throw out a random season number and episode number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.