Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunlit

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2011
Hi Guys!

Can you share your perspective on how to watch youtube on MacBook Pro (recent years' models, with wide gamut display)?

The only browser that supports color management for Youtube videos is Safari. All the others like Chrome and Firefox only support it for still images. So you get unrealistic oversaturated colours in all youtube videos.

BUT - Safari only plays up to 1080p, and 4K videos often look like **** when watching the 1080p stream. I would like to watch 4k (yes, it does make a difference even though MacBook Pro's display is not 4K - just fire Firefox and see for yourself!)

So, to sum up, I would like to watch 4K but I cannot find a way.

Any ideas?

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
Hi Guys!

Can you share your perspective on how to watch youtube on MacBook Pro (recent years' models, with wide gamut display)?

The only browser that supports color management for Youtube videos is Safari. All the others like Chrome and Firefox only support it for still images. So you get unrealistic oversaturated colours in all youtube videos.

BUT - Safari only plays up to 1080p, and 4K videos often look like **** when watching the 1080p stream. I would like to watch 4k (yes, it does make a difference even though MacBook Pro's display is not 4K - just fire Firefox and see for yourself!)

So, to sum up, I would like to watch 4K but I cannot find a way.

Any ideas?

Try Brave Browser. It supports 4K playback and video shouldn't be oversaturated.

https://brave.com/

sunlit

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2011
Try Brave Browser. It supports 4K playback and video shouldn't be oversaturated.

https://brave.com/
No, not much luck. Here's small vid I shot with my iPhone of my MacBook screen veiwing Youtube in 3 different browsers, Safari, Firefox and Brave. All three display a different color hue. It seems that only Safari is properly color managed. Both others are oversaturated with exaggerated reds.

Reactions: CE3

sunlit

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2011
So, basically, the bottomline is, Youtube is hardly working on new Macs (only up to 1080P) and no-one cares!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
4k on a Mac from YouTube works just fine -- IF you use the right browser to view it.

Try a browser OTHER THAN Safari (which doesn't support 4k from YouTube).

sunlit

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2011
4k on a Mac from YouTube works just fine -- IF you use the right browser to view it.

Try a browser OTHER THAN Safari (which doesn't support 4k from YouTube).
Did you read my original question? The issue is no other browser supports color management for YouTube videos!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You cannot watch 4k videos on YouTube using Safari.
There is no way around that.

If you want to watch YouTube videos using Safari, the highest resolution you can currently get is 1080p.
If you want to watch YouTube videos at 1440p or 4k, you MUST use a DIFFERENT browser.

There's really not much more to say about it.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
You cannot watch 4k videos on YouTube using Safari.
There is no way around that.

If you want to watch YouTube videos using Safari, the highest resolution you can currently get is 1080p.
If you want to watch YouTube videos at 1440p or 4k, you MUST use a DIFFERENT browser.

There's really not much more to say about it.

With all due respect, this is a half-truth. There are H.264 4K streams. You can also download 4K videos and watch them in a player.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.