Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intelmaster

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2015
Hi Guys,

as you can see in the screenshot, the total calories calculation seems to be wrong.
I am 32 years old, 1,75m tall and 90kg of weight. I did a heavy crosstraining - workout today and used the watch from sleep tracking over daily use, to the workout at the gym until now.

The activity shows that i only burned a total of 2157 kcal. That can't be true.
I know its a beta but maybe some of you guys are able to track down the reason for it. Maybe its a new setting or something different.

Happy to read some suggestions from you.

best regards

IMG_0010.PNG

eXoenDo

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
I've noticed this too. It seems to have switched to tracking only active calories vs total calories in the betas.

Reactions: Intelmaster

StefSSU

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2009
In the Health app what was your total resting energy for that day? The total calories shown should be the sum of that and your active energy. I am also on beta 2 and it seems to be working normally for me; yesterday I had 1,091 kcal active energy and 1,976 kcal resting energy, the Activity app lists the total as 3,068 kcal (I assume the extra 1 kcal is because the values have decimal fractions not shown which together are >= 0.5 kcal). I am about your age and height but lower weight, so I do think your resting energy may be incorrect. This is usually fairly consistent so it should be possible to pinpoint when the readings changed so much.

Reactions: Intelmaster

Intelmaster

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2015
Hey Guys,

thank you for the replies.

The wrong/different measurement of watchOS 10 only occurs on some days, not everyday. It's really weird and it has not happen in the first days of beta 2 usage.

In the Health app what was your total resting energy for that day? The total calories shown should be the sum of that and your active energy. I am also on beta 2 and it seems to be working normally for me; yesterday I had 1,091 kcal active energy and 1,976 kcal resting energy, the Activity app lists the total as 3,068 kcal (I assume the extra 1 kcal is because the values have decimal fractions not shown which together are >= 0.5 kcal). I am about your age and height but lower weight, so I do think your resting energy may be incorrect. This is usually fairly consistent so it should be possible to pinpoint when the readings changed so much.
2 days after i posted this thread, it has randomly updated the Measurement of total calories and active calories to correct and realistic values. There seems to be something wrong with the way, the update logic works inside the Health and/or Fitness-App. Now it appears to display everything correctly.

I will check the values again every time and hopefully the issue will not appear anymore.
Otherwise i am very happy with watchOS 10 beta and beta 2 made some significant improvement when it comes to the overall responsiveness. It even fixed the Media playback bug. (When i controlled the media playback with the apple watch during sport, i needed to restart the watch in beta 1 to use it in another workout, if i closed the music app or stopped the music, that the widget closed after a while)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.