Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
I got my mom a XR. After a month Face ID stopped working. Took it to Apple. They shipped it to their facility. Got an email saying it has water damage.

Has anyone proved a manufacturing issue? I feel like talking to support/retail staff has gotten too ****ing frustrating. Clearly it’s not water damage. My mom doesn’t trust the idea of water resistance. Even if she did the lowest she could dunk it is a sink which is less than a meter.

I’ve called today and a senior tech said my only option is to get a second opinion. I asked how a sensor got water damage (TrueDepth) but not anything else near it (the camera, the speaker, etc) and he gave me an “example” saying that cold and condensation could be the cause. So I guess heads up and put scarfs and mittens on your phones.

Any suggestions?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
What the tech said is true. It can happen. You can get a second opinion, have Apple repair, ask for the phone to be returned and sell online to recoup some of the cost, or get a new phone.

For what Apple may charge to repair, you might be better off selling for what you can online and getting a new phone.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Only hope is the chance someone will grant you a replacement.. You can’t prove it wasn’t dropped in water and Apple states water damage isn’t covered.. Plenty have gone through what you’re dealing with and some find a sympathetic manager that approves the replacement and some don’t. No rhyme or reason to it.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
What the tech said is true. It can happen. You can get a second opinion, have Apple repair, ask for the phone to be returned and sell online to recoup some of the cost, or get a new phone.

For what Apple may charge to repair, you might be better off selling for what you can online and getting a new phone.

Yea it’s true. The thing is we would see lots of damaged phones. When I told him, “ok but a lot of people live in places with below 0 temps. They go inside into warm places but we don’t hear a massive surge of people with water damage “.
[doublepost=1550019632][/doublepost]
Only hope is the chance someone will grant you a replacement.. You can’t prove it wasn’t dropped in water and Apple states water damage isn’t covered..
That the kicker. I went for the “cheaper model” but after fixing this defect I’ll be paying the same price as a XS Max. Haha

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Yea it’s true. The thing is we would see lots of damaged phones. When I told him, “ok but a lot of people live in places with below 0 temps. They go inside into warm places but we don’t hear a massive surge of people with water damage “.
[doublepost=1550019632][/doublepost]
That the kicker. I went for the “cheaper model” but after fixing this defect I’ll be paying the same price as a XS Max. Haha
Anecdotal evidence means nothing in this situation.

Reactions: HEK

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I got my mom a XR. After a month Face ID stopped working. Took it to Apple. They shipped it to their facility. Got an email saying it has water damage.

Has anyone proved a manufacturing issue? I feel like talking to support/retail staff has gotten too ****ing frustrating. Clearly it’s not water damage. My mom doesn’t trust the idea of water resistance. Even if she did the lowest she could dunk it is a sink which is less than a meter.

I’ve called today and a senior tech said my only option is to get a second opinion. I asked how a sensor got water damage (TrueDepth) but not anything else near it (the camera, the speaker, etc) and he gave me an “example” saying that cold and condensation could be the cause. So I guess heads up and put scarfs and mittens on your phones.

Any suggestions?

But you never even indicated, did your mom ever accidentally expose the iPhone to any type of water? Or you did it even get splashed? Or did she bring it near a shower or something? Point is, even though it is water resistant rated, it’s very possible that she may have exposed water by accident not even realizing it, especially if it was minimal.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Well all your avenues haven’t been explored yet so I would keep trying until you run out of options with Apple..
True hopefully it works out.
[doublepost=1550020319][/doublepost]
But you never even indicated, did your mom ever accidentally expose the iPhone to any type of water? Or you did it even get splashed? Or did she bring it near a shower or something? Point is, even though it is water resistant rated, it’s very possible that she may have exposed water by accident not even realizing it, especially if it was minimal.
Well I would assume minimal moisture due to sweat. She didn’t splash it that I’m aware of and even if she did it’s water resistant and if it doesn’t get protected from that it’s a defect.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
She didn’t splash it that I’m aware of and even if she did it’s water resistant and if it doesn’t get protected from that it’s a defect.

Right, but keep in mind, water resistance is _never_ a guarantee, it’s a rating. The difference being, that water resistance doesn’t guarantee your phone to survive or not survive being exposed to any type of moisture or water.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Right, but keep in mind, water resistance is _never_ a guarantee, it’s a rating. The difference being, that water resistance doesn’t guarantee your phone to survive or not survive being exposed to any type of moisture or water.
I disagree. An Apple Watch is water resistant and Apple advertises it as a swimming companion. The difference being that the watch is allowed to go deeper.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I disagree. An Apple Watch is water resistant and Apple advertises it as a swimming companion. The difference being that the watch is allowed to go deeper.

You’re disagreeing with something you don’t have an understanding of, the Apple Watch is rated 50 M for shallow water activities, pools, etc if it fails, Apple will replace it, because it could be due to faulty gaskets or seals, but it’s not rated for high velocity water sports or scuba diving. ‘The burden would be on Apple to indicate misuse or exposure to one of these would be a cause for denying a warranty claim.’

See this thread as an example of what I am referring to where another member had their watch replaced under a defective seal.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/swimming-killed-my-series-4-watch.2163474/

1. Apple Watch Series 4 has a water resistance rating of 50 meters under ISO standard 22810:2010. This means that it may be used for shallow-water activities like swimming in a pool or ocean. However, Apple Watch Series 4 should not be used for scuba diving, waterskiing, or other activities involving high-velocity water or submersion below shallow depth.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
iPhones since the iPhone 7 have been ip67 rated: that’s 30 minutes 1 meter submersion. While water damage is not guaranteed by that’s more than a splash and as you noted and more than moisture condensation. So unless the phone took a real bath maybe it’s a manufacturing defect.

Either way hope you get it sorted out.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
You’re disagreeing with something you don’t have an understanding of, the Apple Watch is rated 50 M for shallow water activities, pools, etc if it fails, Apple will replace it, because it could be due to faulty gaskets or seals, but it’s not rated for high velocity water sports or scuba diving. ‘The burden would be on Apple to indicate misuse or exposure to one of these would be a cause for denying a warranty claim.’

See this thread as an example of what I am referring to where another member had their watch replaced under a defective seal.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/swimming-killed-my-series-4-watch.2163474/

1. Apple Watch Series 4 has a water resistance rating of 50 meters under ISO standard 22810:2010. This means that it may be used for shallow-water activities like swimming in a pool or ocean. However, Apple Watch Series 4 should not be used for scuba diving, waterskiing, or other activities involving high-velocity water or submersion below shallow depth.

Yea maybe I don’t http://www.dsmt.com/resources/ip-rating-chart/. For clarification I’m disagreeing with this “The difference being, that water resistance doesn’t guarantee your phone to survive or not survive being exposed to any type of moisture or water.” Using classifications if it doesn’t protect against a splash then it’s not IP67.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
iPhones since the iPhone 7 have been ip67 rated: that’s 30 minutes 1 meter submersion. While water damage is not guaranteed by that’s more than a splash and as you noted and more than moisture condensation. So unless the phone took a real bath maybe it’s a manufacturing defect.

Either way hope you get it sorted out.

Yea there’s nothing in her house deep enough to cause an issue IF it did get submerged. Thanks a lot, man.

Beenblacklisted

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
Miami,Fl
or rain, or mist, i know apple says ip67, but dont trust this. Apple makes a huge amount of money from this type of advertisement. Repairs and water damage are a huge source of income

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.