Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjsmacs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2020
Hi All,

Recently sent my mid 2018 mac book pro to some damage technicians due to water damage. The guys who took it can't really say what's wrong so they want to replace the logic board and top case.

My water bottle leaked on it but not badly. The machine turns on and get to the sign in home page but once I've entered the password, it loads about half way and crashes.

Any ideas before we throw in the towel and pay the equivalent of a new mac to repair this one?

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
That repair looks like pretty close to $1000 as the top case is $200 and the logic board is usually $700. At that price it’s time to get a new one as your MacBook used doesn’t fetch much more than that on the used market unless it’s a very loaded MacBook.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Don't pay an amount that is nearly equal to the cost of a new one to repair it.
Get the new one instead.

And one last bit of advice:
Never, NEVER, NEVER pack water into the same bag as a laptop again. Ever.

Reactions: gnasher729

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Do you have home insurance, and does it pay for this? Mine would.
[automerge]1594737955[/automerge]
Don't pay an amount that is nearly equal to the cost of a new one to repair it.
Get the new one instead.
Because that way you have a new one, with warranty and so on. You can also put your MacBook on eBay for parts and get some money for it. Obviously with a correct description what happened to it.

Or you might add up: Cost of repair + whatever you get for your old Mac, and buy exactly that amount for a used Mac.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Hi All,

Recently sent my mid 2018 mac book pro to some damage technicians due to water damage. The guys who took it can't really say what's wrong so they want to replace the logic board and top case.

My water bottle leaked on it but not badly. The machine turns on and get to the sign in home page but once I've entered the password, it loads about half way and crashes.

Any ideas before we throw in the towel and pay the equivalent of a new mac to repair this one?
You could send it to a third party to check it out? Louis Rossman is pretty good and I believe he offers free estimates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.