Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Midgey999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2019
I unknowingly spilled water on my iPhone X while doing tasks on my computer. It sat in the puddle of water, playing music until I finally looked at my phone to check the time and saw it covered in water. The phone appeared entirely unaffected after a wipe-down until I realised that the second channel of audio that comes through the notch was muffled to near silence. I have tried playing certain frequencies of sound to eject the water, I left it overnight in a bag of rice and I have tried to suck or shake the water out of the speaker. All to no avail. Wondering what I should do, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

P.S warranty has expired on the phone so I'm not too enthusiastic about the idea of taking it into the apple store for a repair which will run me around $800 AUD.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I unknowingly spilled water on my iPhone X while doing tasks on my computer. It sat in the puddle of water, playing music until I finally looked at my phone to check the time and saw it covered in water. The phone appeared entirely unaffected after a wipe-down until I realised that the second channel of audio that comes through the notch was muffled to near silence. I have tried playing certain frequencies of sound to eject the water, I left it overnight in a bag of rice and I have tried to suck or shake the water out of the speaker. All to no avail. Wondering what I should do, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

P.S warranty has expired on the phone so I'm not too enthusiastic about the idea of taking it into the apple store for a repair which will run me around $800 AUD.

I don’t really think there is much you can do. It appears the water has already penetrated the speaker and affected it, I think your only option really is to bring it to Apple at this point and explore your options. And for the record, rice really is more of a myth over anything.

Reactions: Midgey999
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.