Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I'm going to south east Asia in the rainy season and want to buy myself a good quality compact camera to take with me, but I am very concerned about the amount of rain that they get over there. The average rainfall can be as much as 350mm in a month at the time I am going so I need something that can take quite a bit of rain and high humidity.

I was looking at the Nikon Coolpix P6000 but I didn't see any mention of it being water proof. What would you do in my situation?

georgemann

macrumors regular
Nikon Cameras in wet South East Asia

I have been based out of South East Asia (and using Nikon cameras) for over 30 years now and have ruined a fair number of cameras due to rain and just general moisture.

Looking at current Nikon compacts I think you will probably have the best chance with the P6000 but I would be very careful about any moisture getting in through the lens opening.

I don't have any Nikon compacts right now but I did own a few predecessors of the P6000 line and never had any problems with them (just remember to always carry a small towel).

As far as the Nikon digital slrs are concerned I have a ruined D40 and kit lens (Cambodia in the rain) that are now a paperweight (Nikon refused to honor the warranty) but my current D80 and D300 have had no problems in the same conditions.

George

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Hmm, why go for Nikon PnS? I always thought their PnS is kinda weak and would opt for Canon, Oly (weatherproof), Lumix for PnS. If we are talking dSLR then its a whole different story.

Milessio

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2008
Alternative suggestion

Assuming that you will want to use your camera in more camera friendly conditions afterwards, I would buy a waterproof camera pouch, with Auquapac being one brand. They are not very expensive & you can use them with whichever camera suits your normal needs. If you go to the beach, they are waterproof to 5m, so you can snorkel with them too. Of course when you are inside or the weather is dry, you can take it out of the pouch.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Really that one is the nearest to my budget range. The Canon PowerShot G10 looks good but is a bit pricey and I also need something that does not look too expensive as I am a little bit concerned about being robbed.

Thanks for the advice though guys it has been helpful.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
If you need a waterproof camera, get one. The image quality tends to be a bit lower than you'd get from an ordinary camera for the same price but a working camera takes much better pictures than one that's shorting out and will not turn on. Pentax, Olympus have well respected ranges. Canon have a new one. Fuji make the 'big job'.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Canon released the D10 which is their waterproof camera. Canon P&S cameras are pretty good for the money so you may want to take a good look at that camera.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
The Canon 1Ds Mark III is waterproof and can be yours for only $6,000!!! At that price, how can you afford not to buy one? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.