Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
Hi all,

to make a long story short, I need a camera bag for my trip to Costa Rica (if you have been there, please dont be shy to share data and pics!). I want the bag to be as resistant to water as possible and be able to carry:

- 2 bodies with grip (XT and 5D)
- 400mm 5.6
- 70-200 2.8
- 100mm macro
- 17-40
- 50mm
- 1 or 2 flash
- cleaning gear
- monopod with ball head

I currently have a Low Pro bag that can carry all of these but I dont like it. It is too "thick" I feel like a turtle with it on my back. I want a bag that will be longer and cover my whole back up to the neck.

So far I was thinking about the crumpler bags (keystone and up) and put a lot of water repelant on it. I really like the fact that it is possible to remove the camera compartment to convert the bag to a normal pack.

Crumpler has to have the most stupid web site possible. It is impossible to get "real" information about their bags, it is all about "cool talk"... Anyone can share there experiences with these or suggest something as good?

Thanks.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Crumpler has to have the most stupid web site possible. It is impossible to get "real" information about their bags, it is all about "cool talk"... Anyone can share there experiences with these or suggest something as good?

I love Crumpler's website, but I can see how it might be off-putting. If you are viewing a bag you're interested in, there is a "tech specs" button you can click on to pull up specific info on the bag. For most bags you can also see many different pictures of the bag with cameras, laptops, etc. in different configurations.

Conversely, you can just Google for the bag in question. I always do this anyway, because I want to hear about real peoples' experiences. Just remember to add the word "review" as one of the search terms.

I've never tried lugging two bodies around with me, so I can't offer any worthwhile feedback regarding the best bags for this. My preference is usually to go as light as possible; but given the situation I can see why you'd want more than one body with you. The one thing I can say is - I've owned several Crumpler bags, photo and otherwise, and they are all very well made and likely to outlast you.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I have a "Domke OutPack Photo Backpack" It's huge. I bought it to hold a medium format system. (Mamiya RB67 and four lenses) Now I use it to haul my underwater video gear. I'd say it is mostly waterproof but if you add the rain cover it becomes very waterproof. You can change the interior around to suit. It's all done with velcro.

As a backpack it is outstanding. Not the normal cheap shoulder straps. The harness system was designed by Lowe who makes some of the best backpacks in the world.
The OutPack uses the Lowe system. but it can also be concealed behind a zippered panel

My preference now is Pelican cases. These REALLY are water proof. And if they put your bag on the bottom of the pile it does not get crushed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.